German Shepherds Forum banner

Random biting?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  umzilla 
#1 ·
Our GSD that we're getting is 3.5 year old and has been living in a house for the past few months with a child. One of the reasons he seems like a good fit for us is that we wanted a dog who had been around small children. We don't have kids but my 6 yo and 9 yo niece and nephew are around frequently.

With our new guy coming, I will do all the things that i've read on this forum -- let him get used to me and my fiance first before introducing the kids, take him out to pet stores, parks, etc to get a sense for his confidence with people and other dogs but always on leash, and of course be in the room with all of them at all times.

But here's my question: if he seems like he's calm and happy around kids (which I'm assuming he is since he's been spending time with one for the past few months) **has anyone ever experienced a situation where a their dog just got impatient (or whatever the appropriate word is) with the kids and snapped at them?** I know that everyone has their limits so I'm not talking about stuff like finger in the eye, poking with sharp object, etc because that would piss me off too but more just general kids stuff like if the kids plop down next to the dog too closely or if the kids are excited and jumping up and down or being to loud etc is more what I'm wondering.

The thing is, we'll probably get our guy and I'll realize quickly that he's either great with kids (although I'll still make sure to be attentive when everyone is together) or he's not going to be great with kids and I likely won't allow the kids around him...but I thought I'd ask..

Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
Obviously you need to feel out the personality of your dog before even thinking about letting the kids play with the dog. Providing we're not talking about some more obvious dangerous situations (fingers in eyes, taking food/toys/treats from dog, screaming) and your dog is pretty stable in temperment I would think you wouldn't have too much trouble with snapping.

You could have more trouble with mouthing, jumping, and more general bulldozing. I believe I read that your dog is SchH III. So your dog obviously has some prey drive, so running children may very well be chased and high pitched children screaming having fun noises, may also be overly stimulating. We're not talking vicious, but an 80 lb Shepherd can do some damage to small children out of excitement. I've gotten black eyes just from bending over my dog when he decided to jump up with that big stupid nose!

You could try having the kids do some basic obedience with him if he takes food nicely enough. You know just sit, platz. Your dog should already have an understanding for the rules of obedience and this keeps the kids in a more controlled interaction (PLus kids just seem to love making dogs do things) I think it goes without saying supervision is key.

#4 ·
That is bizarre and extremely good to know about the ears.

Basic obedience with the kids is a great suggestion.

Both pieces of info are now in "the vault" (my brain =)

This forum is crazy. I can't believe how much great information I get from here. I have about 3 books upstairs on German Shepherds that I haven't even cracked because it seems pointless when I can ask you guys questions and get great answers back. I REALLY hope to be able to provide answers and help for someone some day but in the meantime, as a first time GSD owner, thank you!

#5 ·
Originally Posted By: JKlatsky So your dog obviously has some prey drive, so running children may very well be chased and high pitched children screaming having fun noises, may also be overly stimulating. We're not talking vicious, but an 80 lb Shepherd can do some damage to small children out of excitement. I've gotten black eyes just from bending over my dog when he decided to jump up with that big stupid nose!
I second this one -- watch for the kids running and making high pitched noises -- nothing incites prey drive like small children running and squealing! My dogs (GSD mix and Malinois/GSD) tend to either herd them, with a sly nip at their heels, or knock them over by mistake. Which tends to really freak the children out! When this kind of play is going on I don't let the dogs run with the kids.

Zora also dislocated my jaw once with that long hard nose by jumping up (in nothing short of pure joy) and knocking me on the bottom of my jaw. I was on my own and relocated it myself, which was quite painful but also quite immediately necessary.

#6 ·
Good luck!

Take a minute to read the article "Kids and Dogs - Are they made for each other?"

http://www.monsterdog.net/articles.html

And yes, I have SchH dogs and kids living together. The article is based on experience and observations.

Christine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.