German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only had my GS for a few months, he is 2 years old an has been very good thus far no biting , he doesn't always listen well but all in all he is good, my cousin came in from out of town yesterday an stayed the night we were all together watching tv. My GS kept going to my kitchen getting into the trash to get out left over pizza , I told him several times to get out an my cousin had said something once before an then again but the second time she said something he completely launched at her an attacked her arm that was just laying on her lap, she had to get 10 stitches I want to know what could of triggered him to do so an what should I do,mind you I am 5 months pregnant with 5 other children he has never harmed them but now some of my kids are hesitant an concerned, he knew he was immediately wrong seeing his tail was between his legs an his head down but if someone could give me some advice I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
My suggestion would be to contact a local trainer or behaviorist who can adequately assess your dog and your situation. From there, they can set up a proper plan of action.

My first concern would be, " he doesn't always listen well.' While this might be fine in a little yippy dog or even a good-natured lab, a powerful dog needs good impulse control to control himself from making bad choices, and he needs to listen to his handler.

The second thing would be the pizza in the garbage. If it was somewhere he could get it, but you were telling him not to touch it, repeated corrections could have elevated his frustration to a high level. It might have been more effective to put the pizza remains out of sight and smell while giving the dog something he could focus on chewing.

Finally, the friend, who was not a member of his immediate pack, correcting him might have pushed him over the edge. For a dog, that is the emotional equivalent of a stranger coming up to you and correcting your parenting techniques. In my experience that never ends well for anybody :)

·
Super Moderator
2,855 Posts
This isn't something that can be solved over the internet. You need a local trainer experienced in dealing with aggressive dogs.

Keep your kids and guests safe. No high value treats laying around. Trash can with a lid. Pay attention to his behavior and keep a journal. This can help the trainer understand what's going on.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Here is my 2c. You should not keep this dog in your home. Ten stitches is a pretty bad bite. You have 5 kids and you're pregnant? I don't know how you can possibly implement a training or management plan to be sure everyone is safe.

This dog is not a good match for your home.

Where did you get him? Can you return him?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts