German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna give it a try in 2 weeks & wondered, can you give voice commands along with hand signals ? I heard you can't clap side of leg so, wasn't sure how peppy you could get with them either ?

Honor, you do this once your are done & next dog is going in, correct ?

Any other pointers........ ;) I will just be happy to Q at this level & a major bonus if we can get our RE ! If so, not sure with ever trying our RAE !

~Thanks~

·
Registered
69 Posts
You can give voice commands and hand signals, you just can't clap your hands or pat your leg.

The rules say "Unlike in the Rally Novice and Advanced classes, in Rally Excellent, handlers are not allowed to pat their legs or clap their hands to encourage the dog. Verbal encouragement, multiple commands and/or inaudible signals using one or both arms and hands are allowed; the handler’s arms need not be maintained in any particular position at any time. Handlers may not touch their dog or make any physical corrections."

You can be asked to honor at any point - before or after you run.

Other than the two things you mentioned, it's pretty much like Rally Advanced except for the few additional exercises which I am sure you have looked at. Good luck!

Tracie
www.atlaskennels.com

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hey, thanks for the info & fast reply ! ;) So much better than trying to look up & read till your brain pops !

Trying to work on the extra few signs, not doing so hot on the 3 steps back while in heel........... :( He's kind of getting, but not 100% nice by any means.

BTW, looked at your site, NICE, but I think you need to send me your black male, out of place there with all the WGSDs......... LOL My fav are the blacks, bi-colors, & dark sables.......... Nothing against the pretty WGSDs. Seen a pretty white male at the agility trial this weekend. Like your coated white.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Also you cannot step forward or back when doing finishes (but maybe that's in RA too?). Usually you honor once you are done but not necessarily so. The backwards heel is so hard, even 3 steps! My sheps have trouble b/c they are long bodied, even though they can do tight left pivots. I've seen maybe 1 or 2 competitors ever do a really clean backwards heel. When I did RE with Kenya she did not know that or the moving stand walk around and they were both on the course so it was not a ribbon run for us!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey, thanks for the info & fast reply ! ;) So much better than trying to look up & read till your brain pops !

Trying to work on the extra few signs, not doing so hot on the 3 steps back while in heel........... :( He's kind of getting, but not 100% nice by any means.

BTW, looked at your site, NICE, but I think you need to send me your black male, out of place there with all the WGSDs......... LOL My fav are the blacks, bi-colors, & dark sables.......... Nothing against the pretty WGSDs. Seen a pretty white male at the agility trial this weekend. Like your coated white.
I hate the three steps back - my Mira and I went all the way and got her RAE (and she has a leg towards RAE2) and she she only did it correctly in competition one time for me. It's a tough one for sure.

People are always trying to steal my black dog. :) His mother was white, so he fits in just fine.

Tracie
www.atlaskennels.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts