German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My newest rescue is training in Rally O. He's already gotten two scores with his previous owner, 178 and 193. He knows what he's doing, and I'm just learning.. lol

My instructor sent me the file for the signs, but how do I make a course at home? Is there anywhere on the net I can download free course plans? Or is this something I need to buy?

Any help appreciated!
Kim

·
Registered
987 Posts
I bought a book from J&J dog supplies a couple years ago that had course plans for each level and went over each sign too. You can also buy the signs from them too.
When I set up my course here at home I use cheap kids soccer cones I bought from walmart to lean the signs against

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
You don't need preplanned courses -- you can do them yourself. I try to include one recall, one figure 8 type, jumps if appropriate, and fill in with turns as needed. And for proactice you don't have to do complete courses -- just parts so that you can do each sign.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think in class we had 17 or 18 signs on the course last weekend. I was going to do a set up like that. There aren't any jumps in novice.. I hope? I've got all the signs, the plastic sleeves to put them in.. Just haven't printed them out. Ran out of white card stock.And I was going to buy this garden edging made of wire and cut it to fit each sign. (found that idea on the internet)

I was just hoping there were some course plans to make it easier. I'm afraid it'll have my brain fried trying to figure it out.

Thanks tho!

·
Registered
14 Posts
If a newcomer to German Shepards can offer an opinion, I would suggest asking your instructor if you can get a copy of the course you used in your class and working from that. And Andaka had an excellent idea of just doing parts. I learned Rally with my Lab and found that doing a small course at first, then gradually increasing the number signs worked well for me. Good luck!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! I asked our instructor but she never answered me. I found some on the internet, and it looks really challenging to make them so I'm going to give it a try.

I think I'll do as you suggested and do small courses.

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
Good luck with your training. I just love Rally and the fact that each course is different. You just don't get boared with it and neither does the dog.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Oh, definitely. And it's great for bonding with your dog. I have a wonderful bond with my dog, and to paraphrase Garrison Keilor, It gives shy dogs the strength to go out and do.

It's also funny to see how dogs react to certain commands, and remember, sometimes the commands your instructor tells you to use don't always work. I use 'Inside' instead of 'Get in'. It all depends on your dog and his training. My Lab Girl is a farm dog too, so I substitute a lot of standard Rally commands with ones I use everyday. Don't be afraid to experiment!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts