German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 week old pups (5). I know they can still nurse from the mom but for how much longer? I am noticing that she is starting to let them wonder and is not as protective over them as she originally was so just don't want her to stop feeding them. Even if she does continue to feed them, when do I start having to feed them and what do I feed them. Both mom and dad are raw fed and mom has been eating in the whelping box otherwise she won't eat but I don't want the pups to start wondering over to her food and eating it if they shouldn't be. I do plan on selling the pups so it'll be up to the new owners to continue the raw or not but for now I just need suggestions on what's best while they are in my car. Thank you in advance!

·
Super Moderator
18,686 Posts
Too early. I tend to wait longer than a lot of people, but the average seems to be around 4 weeks. Then they start them on a gruel of ground meats mixed with goat's milk. I start with a gruel of ground whole chickens mixed with the goat's milk. Others, the ground is just something like hamburger mixed with the goat's milk before they start them on the whole ground animals.
If they wonder over and nibble at some of mom's food, it won't hurt them. Only thing you will deal with is that mom will stop cleaning their sleeping area once they start eating something other than milk.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
I'm not feeding raw, so I put the dam on the food that I wean the puppies onto. Yeah, I start feeding them around four weeks old but I let them continue with the dam and she cleans up their food too, and I just expect that if I offer it 3-4 times a day, they will get enough, that with what they drink from their dam. Somehow they manage to be weaned by eight weeks. The dam does most of the work in that. I never separate her, and the pups seem to do fine in their new homes.

I wean them on dry adult food that is suitable for all life stages. I put hot water in it and wait for it to become luke warm, and then I put it down for the puppies. I put their head in it and they catch on right away. Some prefer their dam's milk and I don't worry about that. It's like my mom always says, "when they are 21 they will be able to tie their shoes and go to the bathroom." But of course she's talking about humans. People worry about how fast we get to this point or that point, and the best thing is to skip all the worrying. For me, I think the pups do better with the dam longer, and I know the dam seems to do best if she is not stripped of her puppies all at once.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts