German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, so I have my heart set on a white german shepherd but will also go with a traditional gsd depends on scheduling + breeding. I made a post in the breeders forum, very helpful and did a search and found just the info I was looking for, I won't give up till I find the perfect pup lol.

Anyway I currently have a 2 yr old golden retriever with amazing companionship/personality, very loving and affectionate but likes to play and roll around with other dogs, she jumps on other dogs to initiate play which isn't always a good thing shes very immature.

I am a 28yr old graduate student moving out in a yr from family home, I'm looking at a male shepherd ideally in the 90-100lb range. Thing is he will be raised in a family setting with a 2 yr old female golden who loves to play, nibble on ears, etc. She wouldn't hurt a fly, has never growled at a person/other dog and is extremely childish.

The GSD is a large male dog, will being raised with a playful/affectionate female golden influence his socialization + overall temperament once fully grown? I have never owned a GSD and understand they're extremely powerful animals , I want to have a good feel for things before getting started. Thanks again for your time everyone!

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I think it is going to depend on the temperament of the pup to begin with. I suggest you discuss this with the breeder you have selected and trust the breeder's choice in selecting your puppy.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
This particular issue/question comes up frequently! Do you get a small dog first, then introduce a GSD pup a year later, or do you get a GSD pup, then introduce a small bree pup after about 2 years? Will a GSD eat my other dogs alive? I realize that the GSD is a unique breed, but sometimes on breed specific forums, all we hear about are the problems. Best to be aware, but if the breeder helps pick out the appropriate pup, that should set your mind at ease.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I have 3 GSDs and 2 goldens. My older male GSD took the younger golden under his wing. They were best buds. They don't play to often now but the golden picked up some GSD traits as far as play and herding goes. My older golden has never been to playful but I do catch my younger male GSD playing with him on occasion.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just a quick reply on your comment of being a 28 year old graduate student moving out in a year from family home. I've owned dogs all my long life, but my experience owning German Shepherds only began with my last dog; it was eye opening. Much more is required of the owner, the GSD typically needs lots of both physical and mental exercise. You'll be signing up to deliver this for many years. Not saying you can't do it, just that the breed isn't for most people. I'd suggest that young people, on the upswing of their demanding careers, might want to consider a breed that can more easily tolerate playing second fiddle, to jobs, social life, etc. Good luck, whatever you choose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies everyone really appreciate it, all of the info I was looking for :).

I go on a lot of hikes and mess around with photography sometimes, don't drink so find I always have productive mornings on the weekends lol. I was a college athlete but was injured so morning workouts are still a part of the routine but now its 6-8 mile walks instead of weights. Usually take my golden twice a week but unfortunately won't have a friend to take when I move out.

Of course this sounds good and as a student I'm able to do this a grueling job could change things as you said. I would hate to get a great job that consequently keeps the pup inside way too much. I think I kind of understand what you mean about the GSD being different from the golden. My friend is also a grad student and has a 120lb great pyrenese he was a soccer player in college so the walks have replaced workouts lol. The Pyrenese is in a different league than the golden and I don't just mean sheer size.

Thanks everyone, this forum is awesome, so much information and seems like a great place for people to learn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts