German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Della is a bundle of energy on a daily basis. She has been this way since I got her. And now that I have to crate her (she's a chewer) while at work even more so. Normally this is not a big deal as we play fetch outside a few times a night, and some inside play as well. On weekends we go for long walks in the woods and play so I actually get to wear her out, instead of her wearing me out....lol BUT, on rainy days it is a big problem trying to wear her out. Do you know how hard it is to play fetch in a 1500 sq ft house.......LOL All night long she wants to play, and you can't blame her, but omg, after awhile I have to try and get her into something that she will lay down with for a bit so I can sit and rest or watch tv for a few minutes.

How many of you guys have the same problem? Up north, I guess you have 4 ft of snow and -20 to deal with too. What do you do to occupy your dogs?

·
Registered
668 Posts
I lived in Western Washington for four years. I learned to deal with the rain and spent lots of time outside in it. We went out it in for nine months out of the year and definitely spent most of the sunny days outside. Our rain wasn't downpours or storms though.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I walk two hours a day, snow, cold, rain, heat...whatever. I have outdoor gear for whatever weather and Rafi is happy as long as he is outside!
Same here. Coming from England where it likes to rain :)wild:) I do my usual training/walking/playing whatever the weather. My dogs would go crazy if they didn't go for walks just because it was raining (and so would I! :laugh:)

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm from Canada, no matter how heavy the snowfall, i still gotta get to school, i've got stories of walking through a surprise blizzard and snow higher knee height to get home from my last day of final exams...just grin and bear it...a lot of what you feel is more psychological than physical....so keep repeating to yourself "I am warm, safe and dry"...self-deception goes a long way here :p

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Do you know how hard it is to play fetch in a 1500 sq ft house
I live in a house that is only 496sq ft and have two 3yr old GSD's, live in Western WA where it rains 9 months out of the year and the answer to your question is yes, I do!! LOL It is very difficult to wear them out physically, but I give them mental stimulation all the time. Find it games, we wrestle, we box, we do some OB, and we snuggle a lot. Walking in this neighborhood is not an option as there are no sidewalks and I refuse to walk on the side of the road....people here are thoughtless idiots when driving! When possible I take them to the park or to my friends house to romp and run and play to release all that unspent energy. We play with the flirt pole a lot w/ OB during that. They survive, but would be happier if we had our yard back-it is half the size it was a year ago, because the owner of my house built another house in the lot next door.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts