German Shepherds Forum banner

Rafi's Mange is Back

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  BowWowMeow 
#1 ·
I'm rally bummed out because Rafi's mange is back. I noticed him scratching at one area on his side and took a look and saw the hair was coming out and the skin was turning black. I put him back on the Immune Booster herbs, upped his Ester C to 2000mg/day and am spraying Neem Oil and apple cider vinegar on the area.

Rafi eats very good food and gets supplements but he is a nervous guy. I can't help but think that this is stress induced.

See less See more
#3 ·
Poor baby. I hope he gets better soon. Maybe there is something you can do to eliminate some of his stress??? Do you know what is causing the stress?

#4 ·
I hope you can get the mange under control, and find out how to control whatever may be stressing him. I peeked at his link - he's a very handsome fellow.

#6 ·
Is this demodex mange. I am guessing so because I think that stress is a factor in reducing the immune system to a point where the normal demodex mange mites proliferate. I think sarcoptic mange mites do not need a weakened immune system.

If you are using a topical flea/heartworm preventative, consider Advantage Multi. In Europe it is approved to include demodex mange mites. The formula is the same in the states, it just hasn't been approved in the states as effective against demodex. But it should help prevent them from getting to this point.

I use this for Jenna and Cujo. It prevents heartguard and fleas. It is messier than Revolution though so I haven't gone with it on all my lot.

#7 ·
Yes, it's demodex. And I only use holistic treatments for my dogs. I'm focusing on boosting his immune system. The cider vinegar is making it less itchy but he'd like to lick it off!
He's a good boy though and stops when I tell him to.

He internalizes stress. He's got a little lick sore under his nose and now the new mange spot.

My lifestyle is hard on him because some days I'm home and give him lots of attention, other days I'm home but working on a project and totally wrapped up in that, other days am home and have a client here, other days I'm gone for the day, etc., etc. No regularity at all to my schedule. Sometimes I'm up until 4am, other days I'm up at 8 am...walks happen at different times every day, etc. He always gets at least 2 hours of exercise a day but he never knows when it's happening.

The problem is, this will always be my lifestyle because of the kind of work that I do. I can't even imagine what it will be like for him if I have to start traveling a lot or work 14 hours a day on a shoot.

Chama takes everything in stride but Rafi wants to know what's happening next at all times. Even after just 6 months he can read my mind. He heels off leash...without my having taught him. I just say a word and he'll redirect himself off of a squirrel or a bunny. And if I'm stressed, he's stressed because he's so tuned into me. I've had one deadline after another for the past several months so it's not surprising that his mange has flared up.

T-touch is a good idea. I could use it myself!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.