German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just euthanized an unvaccinated cat that ended up being a CONFIRMED case of rabies. I was the lucky technician that had to collect the "sample". If you don't know how a sample is collected from an animal for rabies testing, it's not pretty OR pleasant :sick:

This is just a warning for people who feel that vaccines are unwarranted. Now not only is an EXTREMELY sweet young cat dead, but everyone exposed must now go through rabies injections to prevent catching the disease.

Skip all other vaccines if you want, but DON'T mess around with rabies! IMHO, that's one of the stupidest things you can do as an owner.

·
Registered
32,377 Posts
I"m sorry for the cat, the owner, you and anyone involved. However, I don't think anyone here has ever advocated not vaccinating at all. I have seen people advocate minimal vaccination and titers.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are some here that STRONGLY advocate against the rabies vaccine. And although we have made peace, it is still information posted that I feel is very dangerous advice to be giving. And just an example here of why.

·
Registered
32,377 Posts
But they also advocated for titers. And the one person almost lost her dog to a reaction, thus the strong argument for her dog...not for all dogs.

I absolutely agree with you. Rabies is not optional. If I lived in a state that would accept titers, I would do that. However, one way or another, people must make sure their dogs are protected.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
I also think it's important to note that you need to see what your state's position is on titers. According to people I've spoken with (who are government but not top level) in NYS a titered dog is considered one that has been vaccinated in the past but is not up to date, and will be considered as such if it gets bitten by a rabid animal or bites someone. So you have to take that into consideration too - are you prepared to follow your state law for an animal that is not up to date on rabies in those situations?

Here is a good example someone posted in the past: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/rabies_pets_flowchart_134247_7.pdf
but titers need to be addressed...
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/rabies_pets_flowchart_134247_7.pdf

·
Registered
32,377 Posts
We, in PA, do not have the rabies exemption. When discussing titers with my vet on Saturday, he pointed out that titers are not considered legal in states with exemption. So, given that, titers will give you an idea of immunity but will not hold up in court. People need to use their brains when weighing the risk and not get caught up in paranoia. Yes, rabies is everywhere and all animals need to be protected so it doesn't reemerge as a widespread disease.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
In my local county, 4 confirmed cases of rabies in 3 months. 4. Crazy. Vaccinate your dog.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Just euthanized an unvaccinated cat that ended up being a CONFIRMED case of rabies. I was the lucky technician that had to collect the "sample". If you don't know how a sample is collected from an animal for rabies testing, it's not pretty OR pleasant :sick:.

How was it confirmed? The only way to confirm rabies is to remove the head to autospy the brain and that has to be sent out...so I assume this is and educated/clinical observation/diagnosis, not yet a CONFIRMED diagnosis if the cat was "just euthanized"...

Now a cat with rabies is a perfect example of why people should NOT let their animals roam...here we have laws regarding cats at large - they have to be contained to the owners property, but they never are and since AC never bothers with cats then the public is at risk of negligent owners.

If signs suggestive of rabies develop, postexposure prophylaxis should be initiated. The animal should be euthanized and its head removed and shipped, under refrigeration, for examination by a qualified laboratory
CDC - Exposure: Testing animals - Rabies

How will I know if an animal is rabid?
The only conclusive way to know if an animal is (was) rabid is to identify the virus in brain tissue after the animal is dead
Rabies

·
Registered
866 Posts
My state requires it, but my dog isn't ever getting vaccinated for rabies again. He's gotten two, and no more if I have anything to say about it.

(My next dog will - I don't think it is the vaccine, specifically, but the dog + vaccine combination). He had a horrible neurological reaction to it that he still hasn't fully recovered from. It's much better and he's safe for family be be around 95% of the time, instead of 10% of the time. For two months he could only have heavily supervised contract with myself present. It was bad. I'm not subjecting him or my family to that again.

The state doesn't accept titers, though, or medical exemptions. A vast majority of people around here don't vaccinate their dogs, period, or get them any vet care at all, so I'm not too worried.

My next dog will be on a regular somewhat minimal vaccine schedule like mine was on. If he/she shows a reaction as well I may have to re-evaluate my stance. But I really don't consider rabies to be an optional vaccine.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I always give rabies all by itself at least 3 weeks from any other vaccine and don't put any stress on the dog at all for about a week afterwards....but it is not optional. I have no intention to booster after the dog is 8 or so and no longer working or being expected to spend the days outside.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
I"m sorry for the cat, the owner, you and anyone involved. However, I don't think anyone here has ever advocated not vaccinating at all. I have seen people advocate minimal vaccination and titers.
I haven't seen anyone advocating against rabies vaccine AT ALL either.

There are some here that STRONGLY advocate against the rabies vaccine. And although we have made peace, it is still information posted that I feel is very dangerous advice to be giving. And just an example here of why.
I know myself personally advocate against any vaccine once maternal antibodies have worn off, the core vaccines are done and titers have been performed to prove immunity.

I also advocate against vaccinating concurrently with other vaccines, any meds. ~ HW prevention, deworming, steroids, abx., atopica, seizure meds., benedryl, metronidazole, doxy, mitaban baths/fungal meds., shortly before/after anesthesia for surgery, i.e speuter, teeth cleaning...

I also advocate against vaccinating when there is ANY sign of illness ~ mild fever, lethargy, eye mucous, diarrhea, hot spots, itchy skin, EPI, pancreatitis, IBD, seizures, auto-immune disease, UTI, Kidney or liver disease, DM, Mega E, any cancer...

Note: any of the above ordinarily show up later in life post vaccination protocol (exception, deworming puppy/diarrhea episodes), so waiting until to vaccinate when well or exemption in neurological cases w/titer would be where I would say - DO NOT vaccinate again - TITER for peace of mind

Edit: Further I want to note that having been misquoted and/or selecting part of a quote or had a quote pulled from another thread to start an arguement and discredit my opinion to make it appear as I am advocating against vaccines all together has happened...but we don't have to worry about that much anymore ;)

·
Premium Member
11,311 Posts
I just read an article on a reliable news source that a man who had received a liver transplant died of rabies. There was no info of what the donor had been diagnosed with prior to death...

Rabies is not an optional vaccine...I hate giving to to an old feeble dog....who never goes out of the house tho....

Lee

·
Registered
32,377 Posts
I read that too, Lee. There are three other recipients that will need to go thru rabies vaccinations. AND...this is not the first time this has happened.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
And the hospital staff that cared for them during and after surgery. And possibly people they were i close contact with.

This is a second case in the US that recipients of donated organs came down with rabies. I wonder how often rabies in humans goes undiagnosed - if it went undiagnosed in two organ donors. I wonder how often it is chalked up as encephalitis rather than rabies, such as in the most recent case.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
But they also advocated for titers. And the one person almost lost her dog to a reaction, thus the strong argument for her dog...not for all dogs.

I absolutely agree with you. Rabies is not optional. If I lived in a state that would accept titers, I would do that. However, one way or another, people must make sure their dogs are protected.
I live in an area which has rabies. Mac had a lot of health issues and my vet did a titer on him ... he flunked and had to have the rabies shot.

The younger Hooligans get their vaccinations spaced a year or so apart ... rabies one year ... distemper/etc the next.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How was it confirmed? The only way to confirm rabies is to remove the head to autospy the brain and that has to be sent out...so I assume this is and educated/clinical observation/diagnosis, not yet a CONFIRMED diagnosis if the cat was "just euthanized"...

Now a cat with rabies is a perfect example of why people should NOT let their animals roam...here we have laws regarding cats at large - they have to be contained to the owners property, but they never are and since AC never bothers with cats then the public is at risk of negligent owners.

If signs suggestive of rabies develop, postexposure prophylaxis should be initiated. The animal should be euthanized and its head removed and shipped, under refrigeration, for examination by a qualified laboratory
CDC - Exposure: Testing animals - Rabies

How will I know if an animal is rabid?
The only conclusive way to know if an animal is (was) rabid is to identify the virus in brain tissue after the animal is dead
Rabies
It was not "just" euthanized as in the past day or two, I'm sorry. It was euthanized end of last week. And yes, I had to remove the head and deliver it to animal control to be delivered for testing. The test only takes a few days to return so it has been a confirmed case.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Scary stuff. I do rabies every three years with titers at every well visit in between. I think it's crazy to have to do it more often than that, but if it keeps me from doing the rabies series and keeps my animals from getting it, I'm all for it.

I usually slow down on vaccines once we get past ten; only the stuff they have to have which is usually just rabies.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The state doesn't accept titers, though, or medical exemptions. A vast majority of people around here don't vaccinate their dogs, period, or get them any vet care at all, so I'm not too worried.
I'm sorry, that's HORRIBLE. I do disagree with states not giving medical exemptions, especially when titers are involved :( Luckily Colorado is one of the states that DOES allow medical exemptions. Now granted, we had a dog on medical exemption from the vaccine because she had IMHA. She was attacked by several raccoons in their backyard. Possible exposure + no vaccine. However because she had no human bite history she was allowed a 3 month home quarantine because she was a medical exemption. The owners were NOT allowed to take her out of the house for 3 months.

I know myself personally advocate against any vaccine once maternal antibodies have worn off, the core vaccines are done and titers have been performed to prove immunity.

I also advocate against vaccinating concurrently with other vaccines, any meds. ~ HW prevention, deworming, steroids, abx., atopica, seizure meds., benedryl, metronidazole, doxy, mitaban baths/fungal meds., shortly before/after anesthesia for surgery, i.e speuter, teeth cleaning...

I also advocate against vaccinating when there is ANY sign of illness ~ mild fever, lethargy, eye mucous, diarrhea, hot spots, itchy skin, EPI, pancreatitis, IBD, seizures, auto-immune disease, UTI, Kidney or liver disease, DM, Mega E, any cancer...

Note: any of the above ordinarily show up later in life post vaccination protocol (exception, deworming puppy/diarrhea episodes), so waiting until to vaccinate when well or exemption in neurological cases w/titer would be where I would say - DO NOT vaccinate again - TITER for peace of mind

Edit: Further I want to note that having been misquoted and/or selecting part of a quote or had a quote pulled from another thread to start an arguement and discredit my opinion to make it appear as I am advocating against vaccines all together has happened...but we don't have to worry about that much anymore ;)
I agree, titers are great. Sadly some states DON'T accept them so people need to be careful in their area with possible exposure and state law. And I wasn't singling you out, just saying recently I have seen posts hinting that rabies should be avoided in the future and with a case close to home like this, and having answered a few posts recently about if vaccines are really important or not, it's just a strong reminder that with vaccines sometimes you have to outweigh the good with the bad.

There could of been MANY things causing uncontrolled seizures in a young cat. But because of the outdoor history AND no vaccines AND possible bite on the cat AND numerous human exposure with excessive drooling for a week, it just couldn't be risked trying to save the cat. And it was, sadly, a confirmed case

1 - 20 of 93 Posts