German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday we found a dead bat on our front walk. Along with the two dogs, we have two cats-and it appears Niki our 16 yr. old cat may have tangled with the bat. I didn't worry too much (we were on our way out to a 50th B-day party), but this morning I decided to do some research and I am scared by my findings. In LA County this year there have been 17 rabid bats found and 10 of them were in my community. I called animal services and in 20 minutes they were at my door. Very casually the guy from animal control said they have "found a lot of bats up here" that tested positive. He said to take the cat for a booster on Monday. I told him the dogs had boosters in June, and he said they'd be fine. I am very worried about that bat testing positive. In two other cases dogs were found playing with a dead, rabid bat and the dogs received an additional booster. The ER vet (the only I called today) said if the bat was rabid they would want me to put my cat down. So I guess this is sit and wait.:confused:

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Put your cat down?? Without a quarantine to see if the cat was even effected?

Even if the cat hasn't had a rabies shot recently, research shows (and a titer on the blood will reveal) that if the cat has had the rabies shot sometime in its lifetime, it's probably still got more than enough antibodies to protect it. They should at least quarantine, not just put him down on the spot if the bat tests positive.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
That seems a bit drastic. To jump right to euthanasia. I agree with the other poster. The cat should probably get a booster and be quarantined.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We are getting a booster on Monday...this is just what the ER vet told us, at this point the health department is not involved. We have already decided if we have to quarantine we will put the cat "up" in the guest bedroom and install a screen door. She already likes to sleep in there!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts