German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a pre made raw diet, and will probably be starting in the next week or so. But as I was scanning through the sections of meats available I had notticed a rabbit roll. What was interesting is it says it has the fur in it?
Does anyone feed rabit with the fur? Not that I'm going to be feeding anything other than chicken at first, I was just curious.

TQDF Price list

·
Registered
457 Posts
Yes my dogs love it. Also if I get a big rabbit 5-6lbs I will just fast the dog the next day instead of trying to cut the rabbit in half.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exccelent. I joined a co op and some yahoo groups and found a wholesaler that's less than the site listed but at first I'm going with the rolls. The site listed Also has some "exotic" meats the other I found doesn't.
Curios ... What happens when the fur exits? Or is it all digested ?

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
I've never fed a whole rabbit with fur, but I live in the boonies, and Gryffon has caught baby rabbits and ate them, and my cats love to find partly-eaten rabbits left behind by foxes and drag the remains home (and into the house!). Ussually the hind-half of the rabbit is left behind by the foxes - probably too boney for them. Gryffon will do clean-up duty for me.

I've watched him closely after the first few rabbit meals, but his poops were completely normal - didn't even see any fur in it. But can't say if full would show if he ate a whole adult rabbit instead of babies or half a rabbit as he has.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
There's a local butcher in my area who grinds up whole rabbits with the fur and sells them packaged in 3-pound rolls.

I bought one of those rolls and fed it to Dog Mob once. Never again. They got super constipated from all the fur.

I don't think hunting predators typically eat large amounts of fur or skin off their prey (small animals they eat whole, like mice and baby bunnies, would of course be different), so in retrospect this shouldn't have surprised me, but for whatever reason I bought the guy's hype at the time and it proved to be a big mistake.

·
Registered
457 Posts
With a small rabbit I don't see the fur much in the poop. But with anything over 2 pounds the poop looks different.

I never do it more than once a week because of all the fur.

I would think any animal that caught a large rabbit would eat fur and all. Sometimes a few tuffs of fur are left but not much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts