German Shepherds Forum banner

R.I.P. my sweet Koda

4K views 24 replies 23 participants last post by  NWHeather 
#1 ·
I aquired Koda a little more than 6 years ago, from the WA GSD Rescue, when I agreed to take him in for a temporary (4-day) foster, while his foster family was out of town for Thanksgiving.
He had been abandoned at a boarding kennel, which is how he ended up in the rescue, so they did not want to board him for the holiday.
Before the first day was over, I knew he needed a permenant home, as soon as possible, so I contacted the rescue to tell them I wanted to adopt him.

Koda was a sweet & gentle soul, although he liked to portray that he was tough. He was a big teddy bear, & everyone who met him, instantly fell in love with him.

A little more than three weeks ago, Koda wasn't acting right. He hadn't been eating as well, I had to hand feed him to get him to eat. At first I thought it was his body not handling the recent vaccinations as well, since he was 9 years old, & I took him into the vet for a follow up visit, & she felt that was the case as well.

She said he was showing signs of arthritis, & that I should consider giving him Rimadyl at some point, as it progressed.
A week later, I gave him Rimadyl for a couple days, he wasn't acting right after I stopped giving it to him, so I took him to the vet. The day I took him in, he decompensated very quickly. He had a very high fever, & had labored breathing.
They tried a couple different antibiotics, lasix, & later cortisone as well. Xrays showed what seemed to be some masses around his heart.
He initially responded to the iv fluids & meds, & his fever came down the first night, but he continued to have labored breathing.
The next morning, his fever spiked higher than it was the previous day & his breathing was not getting any better.
After talking to the vet, we decided it was time to let Koda go. I broughtrory in for her to see him for a little bit, but she was too stressed about being in the vets office (or maybe she knew what was going on) & so I put her back in the truck & spent some time with him before the vet came back in.

Koda passed very quickly, as I layed on the floor next to him, telling him how much I loved him.

I miss him terribly, & at the same time, I am so grateful that I was blessed to have had the opportunity to have had such a wonderful dog in my life.

I have very recently adopted a GSD/Mal female, (her story is in the pictures section).

As long as I am able to, I will provide a home for at least two, otherwise unwanted dog.
I initially considered planning for a 3rd dog after things settle with this new addition, but we'll see how having Mal in the mix works out. LOL

I

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm so sorry for your loss :hugs: RIP Koda :(

#7 ·
I am sorry for your loss. Thank you for giving him the home you did! I know a committment to rescue doesn't cure your current heartache, but I commend you for looking ahead.

#8 ·
I am so sorry for your loss of your handsome boy Koda. He blessed your life because you gave him his. He is ,at least I believe ,is in a place where he can run ,play, chase and watch over his loved ones.
Maggi

#12 ·
What a handsome boy. You gave him 6 years of love. RIP Koda....

#25 ·
Rena, exray showed masses around the heart . Vaccinations would not cause masses around the heart. Did that really need to be said at this time?

So sorry about your loss NW Heather
Thank you. I think that what I thought was a reaction to vaccinations, was actually the start of his decline, due to the cancer.

I still hurts to think about having lost him, but I am grateful that he compensated for so long, & appeared ahppy/healthy until his body couldn't compensate anymore.
It would have been really hard to see him suffer through months of treatment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.