German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
beamer has one of those marrow (or something) bones we buy at the grocery store in the meat dept. she chews on them for like 3 weeks before getting a new one, & this is her nightly routine:

carry bone onto bed.
lay down on edge of bed.
drop bone on floor.
look at us like we did it.
scoot half off the bed, grab the bone, reverse back onto the bed.
repeat steps 2-5.

all.
night.
long.

& EVERYTIME she looks at us like it is 100% our fault that her bone fell off the bed.

what are your dogs quirks?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Elle loves her white pork raw hides, that she/us refer to them as "pigs", Emma gets one too. they only get them once a week, because they are fatty.

Elle and Emma knows when they get one and beg until you open it, then they tackle you for it...and prance to the living room floor and chew as hard as they can until it's 100% gone which takes on average 45 minutes to an hour...

Elle is always finished first, so she chases Emma a few times, then looks at me as though I ate her "pig"...then goes and drinks water and just goes to sleep.

Emma, takes her time and chews hers, and at the end drinks a lot of water, and then must go potty, then she goes to sleep for about 2 hours. Then back to her never-ending game of fetch!

I call the raw hides, doggie babysitter cause it gives me a break of constantly saying "no girls, settle down!" LOL

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Everytime I turn off the tv in the living room, Annabelle gets up and moves to the bedroom.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL. beamer watches cops with us, but pays no attention to anything else that is on the tv.

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
Ris 'snorts' when she gets excited. She will also do zoomies around the livingroom and pounce on a toy if I play bow to her.

She does other quirky things (she's a super-quirky dog) but I can't think of them right now.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Originally Posted By: chelsbeamer has one of those marrow (or something) bones we buy at the grocery store in the meat dept. she chews on them for like 3 weeks before getting a new one, & this is her nightly routine:

carry bone onto bed.
lay down on edge of bed.
drop bone on floor.
look at us like we did it.
scoot half off the bed, grab the bone, reverse back onto the bed.
repeat steps 2-5.

all.
night.
long.

& EVERYTIME she looks at us like it is 100% our fault that her bone fell off the bed.

what are your dogs quirks?
Apollo does that very same thing, except he does it on the sofa.

He also likes playing 'soccer' with his tennis ball, batting it around with his paws with another tennis ball or bone in his mouth. it's the cutest thing.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Oh these are cute!

Bear... where to start?!!

My girl has many funny quirks, but these are my favorites...

If my husband and I are in different rooms and Bear sees that I am heading to where Dh is, she <u>races</u> me to him and get all winggley with Dh--pawing, talking, etc. She does this each and every time this situation presents itself--some times mutilple times in a very short time span if I'm walking back and forth in the house!! I'd love to know what's in her head that she has to get to him first!!

This one kills both of us...
Every time Bear visits with my husband in his home office... She whines at him for attention, paws at him until he pays attention to her and then he pats his legs and let's her jump up on him. After a good scratch & fur ruffling, Bear gets down and immediately goes over to the nearest floor vent, looks down and head tilts at it!!!!!!!! EVERY time! It's so silly.

One more cute one...
Bear rarely eats the bones I give her--she buries them in the house (in beds, in corners, under things in my office, etc.) and then unburies whenever she feels the need and carries them around (likes to keep an eye on her goods). Recently she has begun bringing a bone up with her every night at bedtime. Bear has claimed a guest bed down the hall from our room (I know... spoiled!) and in the evenings now when it's time for bed she grabs her bone, brings in up the stairs, comes into the master bedroom, places the bone down nicely on the floor, looks at me, pauses, and then trots off to her own bed. It's like she's saying, "Okay, I'm gonna call it a night. Watch this for me, ok?"

·
Registered
664 Posts
Dieter will play with his rawhide. He usually gets a medium one in the evening, but if he hasn't been outside yet, he will throw the bone around, play bow at it, paw it around the room, and generally act like a goof until he goes out. THEN he'll lay down and chew his bone.

He also insists on being pushed right up next to me when he eats his bones. He won't touch them until I sit on the floor with him.

I've always put a bit of water on Dieter's food since he was a pup, and just continued doing it out of habit. My brother was dog sitting this weekend, and forgot the water. He said Dieter stood there, looked from his food to his water and back again, looked at him and then started to eat. *laughs* he knew something was missing.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL bear sounds like a funny dog!! i love the bone at night time thing! it's adorable!

beamer has a water thing too. if there is the slightest thing besides water in her water bowl (a hair, a peice of food because she is messy..) she won't touch it. she will drop food in her water when shes eating & goes to take a drink, & STOPS & looks at me like WHY DID YOU PUT THAT THERE!??! lol.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Watch where your toes are when they drop those big marrow bones...Speaking from experience here!

When Brenna has something in her mouth that she's proud of (usually an old soup bone) she swings her head back and forth and arches her neck totally showing off. Usually no one cares or wants what she has so she will run up to Mollie and prop the treasure against her face and mouth at it while it's pushed against her. So she literally rubs it in her face. :p

She will also reach down and grab Mollie's leg and just lift it up, sometimes she also sticks Mollie's head in her mouth.

Poor Mollie, her life must've been so nice and peaceful before I got Brenna!!

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Grimm plays that typical toddler "my hand is on top!" game.
If we are on the floor together, I will quickly place my hand atop his big, caramel-colored clodhopper paw. He grins, and whips his jumbo paw out from underneath to slap it atop mine! Then, waiting so as to add tension to the game, I suddenly whip my hand out from under, to quickly rest it atop his paw.. then he rests his paw atop my hand.. then my hand is atop his paw etc etc. Eventually, when my hand jumps atop his paw, he begins to bite the floor in a big, open-mouthed grin and softly yodel-snort. I SWEAR he is laughing at the game!!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL grimm sounds HILAROUS!

& brennasmom- i got my toes smooshed the other day by the stupid bone, lol. i was like "GET THAT BONE OUT OF HERE!" lol.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I go upstairs everynight to put my daughter to bed and say prayers. Lola the minute she sees us heading up.....has to run as fast as she can with a "baby" (toy stuffed animal) in her mouth. She beats us up there and jumps on the bed to lay down with the baby in her mouth. While saying prayers, she chews and chews on her baby. After prayers and I have turned off the lights, she has to beat me down the stairs to go into the family room. (I suppose she has to be first in all things). She also has the quirk of hiding all milk bones or chewies, sometimes under the cushion of the couch, sometimes under the dining table (like we can't see it?) or on the steps of the stairs. IF you move it, she has to immediately take it from you and watch you until you go into another room. Then she painstakingly has to rehide it in a better hiding place. (OY!)......lastly....She waits for the last person to go to bed before heading off for bed. It's like it's her duty to make sure that everyone is tucked in bed before she can go to bed. (love her for that since I'm usually the last one to bed).

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Originally Posted By: Lola'sMommy She also has the quirk of hiding all milk bones or chewies, sometimes under the cushion of the couch, sometimes under the dining table (like we can't see it?) or on the steps of the stairs.
Apollo loves hiding his toys and bones as well. One time he hid it behind my sister's giant teddy bear in her room. Most of the time he hides it under our treadmill, (which I don't see how he does it, there's not much room under there...) and underneath my parent's bed. He's so silly.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Taedyn's biggest quirk is her absolute obsession with rocks. While at obedience class today, everyone was astonished to see how totally focused she was on a regular old rock. Everyone else was using treats, I used a rock as it was the only way to keep her attention off of the other dogs.

She cannot go for a walk without holding a rock.

She likes to chew on things in my lap. She'll come over, stand next to me, and rest her head in my lap chewing on things. One time she laid down on the couch while she was doing it and fell asleep. So there she was, sprawled on the couch with her head in my lap and a tennis ball in her mouth. Too. Cute.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Originally Posted By: ceardachTaedyn's biggest quirk is her absolute obsession with rocks. While at obedience class today, everyone was astonished to see how totally focused she was on a regular old rock. Everyone else was using treats, I used a rock as it was the only way to keep her attention off of the other dogs.

She cannot go for a walk without holding a rock.

She likes to chew on things in my lap. She'll come over, stand next to me, and rest her head in my lap chewing on things. One time she laid down on the couch while she was doing it and fell asleep. So there she was, sprawled on the couch with her head in my lap and a tennis ball in her mouth. Too. Cute.
Just a friendly word of warning here. My first gsd, Massie, was also obsessed with rocks. I did nothing to dissuade her because it seemed cute and harmless. She did not chew on rocks but she loved to chase and catch them, especially in the water. She also loved to carry and retrieve them. That obsession caused some serious dental problems. She lost quite a few teeth to rocks and the remaining ones were ground down to little nubs. So you might want to redirect now while you can!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowJust a friendly word of warning here. My first gsd, Massie, was also obsessed with rocks. I did nothing to dissuade her because it seemed cute and harmless. She did not chew on rocks but she loved to chase and catch them, especially in the water. She also loved to carry and retrieve them. That obsession caused some serious dental problems. She lost quite a few teeth to rocks and the remaining ones were ground down to little nubs. So you might want to redirect now while you can!
Aye, I'm working on it, and it is improving. It mostly stems from insecurity. The more secure she feels, the less her obsession is. Now when she's in my home, she has zero interest in rocks. She even drops them outside the door step now.

·
Registered
278 Posts
LOL Chloe does that with her bones. She will run with it in her mouth, swaying her head side to side. Its so funny. Jake does similar but throws his into the air. Chloe scares us because she carries them around while doing her head thing and is known to drop them on toes!

The water bowl is another quirk. I know I have posted about Chloe getting water all over the house and now with Jake, my rescue, he will lay down and drink the entire water bowl. He cannot get enough. Well, now with his "lampshade" on his neck from neutering, I thought he could not lay down and drink, but he still does. I will have to get a pic!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts