German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quinn, AKA The Werewolf, gave me a turn today.

She was completely normal when I went out to take care of the dogs. She ran around with Moofy barking at Cujo and Hepsi as usual. She ran with Jenna, Nikki and Nina, as usual -- no change. I started to let her go with Joy, but she was kind of air snapping at Joy's face, and Joy could have creamed her if she wanted to, so I put her in the field and kept joy in the adjoining kennel.

Then I put Joy away, and opened, Quinn and Babs' area and locked it open -- it is two kennel areas, but I give the two of them both, plus they can get in the house. Anyhow, I went to do the others, and I brought Quinnie into her area, and I stopped to clean Milla's and looked back at Quinn, and she kind of lost control of her back legs. She was walking all weird and sitting down and licking her feet.

I was going to rush her to the vet, but I only had to take care of four more dogs, and one kennel out front, just food and poop, water was done, so it wouldn't take long. I got done with the four of them, Oscar in Milla's kennel because he needs to eat separately from Odie or she won't ever lose weight. Quinn had gone inside. Ugh! she never. She is usually out there jumping up and down and barking at everyone.

I ran out front and quickly took care of that kennel, and then went back in and she was walking ok. She wasn't jumping up and down like a nut case, but she was walking ok. I put Oscar away and put Milla out in her area, and looked at Quinn again. She was jumping on the fence to get to me, not up and down like a nut, just up so I could pet her head.

I got ready for work, and looked at her again. I put Babsy out with her. She seems hesitant, but not like she can't control her limbs. If I took her to the vet now, they would think I was nuts. 20 minutes had passed, from the point where I first saw her acting odd to being ready to go. I could still put her in the car...

But, I decided to wait and see. I thought maybe bees? I saw some honey bees in her kennel there yesterday. Maybe she got stung on her paw, and was acting all odd because it hurt.

I called the vet on my way to work. I have an appointment for tomorrow. They agree since she recovered so quickly it is probably ok. I'd worry about a seizure, because Cujo1 kind of lost control of his walking after a long seizure and had a hitch in his walk after that. But it took a while for him to figure out his legs. But there was no seizure. I was there the whole time, and my eye was on her pretty much constantly. Certainly my ears were hearing her the whole time. She was running back and fourth in front of Cujo and Hepsi's area barking.

The vet tech I talked to suggested a sprain or a twist. I figure it is too young for spondylosis, DM, too sudden for HD, but I thought maybe a pulled muscle or a bee sting, or even a bite from a copper head. I've seen snakes there, but its been years.

Any ideas?

I'd say she was back to normal before I left. But she isn't. She isn't jumping up and down on the gate like a maniac. She's jumping up into a standing position but not leaping up and down now that she is up. So it probably is still bothering her, making her cautious.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Poor girl sounds scary. Could she have hurt her back? Maybe trapped nerve causing her to loose a little coordination in her legs. I. hope she feels better soon

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Aww poor girl.

If it were a snake bite or bee sting you should be able to find localised swelling at the site of venom injection. Benedryl would help in either case.

Kinda sounds like what happened to a foster of mine, ollie. He jumped up while trying to spin in a tight circle. Hit the ground and couldn't walk right. Not a yelp from him.

Took him in and it turned out to be a slipped disk pinching a nerve causing numbness. He was right as rain after a visit to the chiro.

Hope the werewolf is feeling better soon

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
How is her back? Is she sensitive in that area? It almost as you describe as EPM in horses which is a neurological disease caused by a parasite from possum urine. There back legs just give out as if they have no control its an awful site but can be treated subtle issues before it hits hard. Often vaccines can trigger it. I'm not sure if dogs do get this though I have never heard of a dog getting it. This is just a thought. She may have injured herself playing. I'm sure X-rays and blood work will tell you more. Ticks are bad this time of year and can carry so many illnesses. Pulled muscle. Has she had any vaccines recently they can bring out all kind of weakness in some. I hope she is feeling better and you get some answers.

·
Super Moderator
6,290 Posts
Sounds like she twisted something,pulled a tendon,or pinched a nerve.Hope it's nothing serious!

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm. She is 9 or 10 months old. Her last vaccines were at 4 months.

In thirty years, I have picked 1 tick off of me, and 2 off of dogs -- all of them after visiting the park in town where there are some woods. Haven't been there in years. So, ticks just don't seem to be a huge problem here at my home. But I am not ruling it out. She is a hairy little beast, and it is possible I missed one and it infected her. Lymes is bad in this area. So I do worry about that.

I wouldn't expect it to come on suddenly though. She was literally jumping like a jumping bean minutes before.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
First, I'm sorry to hear Werewolf is in a jam.. I am in the camp of a pull or kink in the back.. A chiropractor is cheap and great for cases where a dog just over contorted, or jammed something up..

You don't have any poisons around that could have gotten locked, eaten or some how dosed? So, I'm thinking back.. Certainly a body check would be good for ticks or other injuries, but for such a quick absolutely ok and springy one minute to odd and broken Springs the next.. Sounds to me, like a kink... Hope she feels better and heals up quick

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Yeah I would think it would come on suddenly either with such a extreme symptom without showing milder symptoms first. Dogs do hide things well though and just something to rule out. We have tons of ticks here all kinds it is pretty awful!

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Ok, well here is my first 2c about mystert ailments. My similar aged pup was running down our rail thru the woods, I saw him tangle his feet in some roots sticking up in the road (road was recently dug in by heavy machinery), he was run ing and it looked like he got his feet yanked a little by the roots, but no worries since he can fly you know, he runs off after a chipmunk. He went over some fallen trees and I didn't call him on purpose because I didn't want him to come back at 100mph over those trees. I waited for him but when he came back across he was on 3 legs. Ran up to me with 1 hind hanging limp. I think he has broken his leg. I grab him and sit on the side of the trail with him for a few minutes and then stand him up to see how bad it is but now he could bear weight on it. Try a few steps and he could walk. Now I think maybe he has torn his ACL. I lead him all the way now by the collar because he doesn't have the sense not to run off again. By the time we got home he can walk ok, trot looks a little wonky. Later that afternoon trot looks ok so I abort vet visit.

It did not get worse thru the day, gave him a carprofen and kept him quiet. Day 2 walk and trot are fine, a little funny in the hind at canter. Kept him on leash and quiet and by day 3 like nothing ever happened. So we went from broken leg go torn ACL to ha ha just kiddi g in 48 hrs.

Also I don't suppose you have any hotwire because my girl touched her leg to some heavy duty wire and got a bad shock and laid down on the spot and wouldn't move till I told her she was ok because in her mind if her leg hurt that bad it must be broken. I gave her a little scruffy love a d said she was fine now and she bounded away.

The foot licking does sound like maybe a sting, do you have red ants? I have seen animals do some pretty outrageous antics when they had fire ants.

Hope it is nothing!

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Check her nails. She sounds like a rambunctious pup, she may have broken a toe nail on her craziness.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I would check the pads to make sure she didn't step on something, like a thorn, piece of glass, etc.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Will check pads and nails. I do have an appointment for tomorrow, but if she is back to normal, I will take one of the older girls in her place.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
The only time I've seen anything like it is when my male puppy gets a leg cramp and his legs go out from under him. It's usually after he has been lying down on a hard surface. It hasn't happened often. I hope she is OK.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
A few times Shadows legs just seem to not be were she needs them. I haven't ever really thought much of it, she plays pretty hard. But I do notice that after a fall she is always cautious for a while, like she isn't quite sure what happened.
I hope Quinnie is feeling better, and this proves to be nothing.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Sometimes there can be a single incident that remains a mystery and does not repeat.

My female dog, years ago at about 5am woke up, stood up on our bed, was shaking, pupils totally dilated, peed, pooped simultaneously and fell over with seizure like body motions. The vet met us at 6am on an emergency basis. That was back in the day when vets weren't afraid to make a diagnosis without a bunch of tests.

He described the name of the attack. Don't remember but it had like a 14 letter name. Basically some major wires got crossed in the brain. Not a seizure or anything. He said nothing to worry about as it does not cause damage or repeat and she'd be fine. He was right, she lived to 14 and never any problems.

Today though, I imagine they would want to run a blood panel to eliminate any concerns for the future, there is quite a bit to say about the efficiency of today's tests and early prevention if it is something that's in early stages....

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Just checking in how is little Werewolf today? Does sound like a pull or a pinch. This why I really wish they could talk at ices like these.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
She was jumping up and down like a hyena when I got home last night and again this morning. Thanks all. False alarm. Quinnie is just being a normal puppy, employed in their favorite past time of driving their owners crazy with worry.

I took Jenna in today instead. 85 pounds. Ugh! Ear infection, and some lick granulo---- not sure how the heck you spell that. Ear junk and 2 different kinds of meds. I brought her home, gave her her meds, and took Babsy up there.

I had them take blood on Babs. She was 89 pounds. Double Ugh!!! (Babsy is smaller than Jenna, my 58 pound stick of dynamite when she was 2.) I had them do bloodwork on her. Babs was 75 pounds in December. In six months she has gained 14 pounds. Her coat is beautiful, and she seems in perfect health. Except the weight gain, and an increase in water intake, which had me worried. She is also snoring a lot more now.

Babs and Jenna will be 11 in August. So it's time to start senior stuff.

My dogs tend to be emaciated twigs until they reach 6, then they spend a couple of years at their ideal weight. And then I have to stop feeding them because even with 2 cups a day or less, (Babs has been surviving on leftovers from me, and sometimes a little left over from Quinn, I haven't fed her in a month or more. I've retired her dish -- not really.) They said that maybe she's feeling better since they removed the tooth. 14 pounds.

I need to take Heidi up and weigh her. I mean next to Odie, Heidi looks ideal. But then next to Odie, Babsy looks small.

All my dogs that are 6 or over look ideal or over-weight.
The dogs four and under are all slim. Why do they weight until 5 or 6 to start putting on weight.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts