German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we went to puppy class (way, way back when), we got a clicker that is a metal top on a small plastic box. Its so loud the sound bounces off of our back fence and reverberates. Its a little ridiculous. I'd like to get one that is a bit less obtrusive for use on our walks - any recommendations?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
10,225 Posts

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
You can do a couple of things to make your clicker quieter (and by the way - yours must be exceptionally loud!)

There should be a little bump,or raised dot on the metal part. Layer squares of tape on it until it is as quiet as you want. Bandage tape works best as a 'muffler.'

or

Click from inside a pocket or with cloth wrapped around the clicker.

Hope that helps.

I do have an i-click, also and love it. It's easier to click, but not much quieter than my other clickers. I got mine at PetsMart.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
I also have the iClick and I ordered mine from the Karen Pryor site.

If you have a band on it to wear it around the wrist, have it laying inside your palm and click it by closing your hand. That muffles the sound and is a pretty comfortable way to click it. You could also put it into your jacket pocket and click it there to make it quieter.

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
I love the iClick as well and it's what I use. It doesn't have as harsh of a sound as the box clickers and it's more ergonomic.

I know our dog trainer has recommended using Snapple lids (with the pop up freshness button) for dogs that are sensitive to the click noise.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I love the iClick, too, but the clicker on the Clik Stik is the softest clicker I've ever heard or operated. The button is very, very soft.

It's too soft for my taste, but if you're looking for the softest clicker on the market, my vote is for the Clik Stik (I assume it's the same clicker as the Clik-r, but I haven't actually seen/touched/used the Clik-r). http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=746&ParentCat=133

I have found that even the iClick can be too quiet for outside, so I often use the Petco brand clicker http://www.petco.com/product/105765/PETCO-Training-Clicker-Kit.aspx when we're working on new behaviors outdoors.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
I ordered the I-click and just got it today. VERY nice. I thought the other clickers were too loud for ME too. I got a little book thing to read.

I mouth click with Anna-but since she was afraid to take food I don't think I know what you do.

So I am going to ask for some really basic information-clicker training in a sentence! Lazy-I will read the book but wondered if you can explain it in one sentence!

Also, can you do it with multiple dogs all at once? Like a seminar?

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
One sentence? Not so much. But the reading isn't really that hard, come on, buck up and do it!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Jean, the clicker is a marker for a desirable behavior. That's my one sentence, others can their own.

The pen is for dogs that are really sound sensitive, I think.

Here's a really funny clicker story:

Rafi associates the sound very well with a treat. Well, it just so happens that his treats click too! I carry a dehydrated lamb lung piece in my pocket whenever I'm out with the dogs. Chama is always begging me to give her one and it helps her to keep up so I give her tiny pieces. I break them off in my pocket and every time Rafi hears them breaking off (a clicking sound because they're brittle) he turns to me, begins heeling and looks up into my eyes. So now I don't even have to carry the clicker, I just carry the clicking treats!

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
I have to finish working before I can read a whole book!

I just figured there was an easy explanation. And wondering if you can teach groups at a time?

Rafi is a too much! He may be a little more normal than what I am dealing with! Does it work with...others?

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
My one sentence: The click means that which the dog is doing at that exact moment is exactly what I want and it will be rewarded. Someone on another board compared it to a camera. The click should 'photograph' the instant your dog is doing what you want.

It can be a bit complicated at first especially since you'll need to get your timing down. But, once you get the hang of it, everyone's light bulb will go off. One of my favorite things about clicker training is that it's so easy to mark exactly what you want. Plus you can create a dog that just LOVES to work and can't wait for the next training session. It also works really good with dogs who lack confidence (Risa) because it clarifies what you want them to do.

I suppose you could work a whole group of dogs at once with the clicker, but I wouldn't start out that way. I would do it individually at first so that each dog gets the idea behind it before you add in the distractions and potential for confusion.

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
Okay, I almost spit my soda all over my monitor at work at the "Montessori Dog" comment.

Yes, when you start off using the clicker, you need to prime it. You first grab 6-8 treats and put them in your hand and click repeatedly as your dog eats the treats. Repeat 2 times (3 times in total). Then take 6-8 treats and feed them one by one, clicking each time the dog eats the treat. Repeat this 2 times (3 times in total). Then you're ready to start working. In the beginning, you will have to do this EVERY time you want to start working with the clicker. But dogs catch on pretty quickly and soon you won't have to do any more than take the clicker out and they'll be zipping around thinking "Woo hoo time to work!"

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Look at what you've done with Risa though-OMG-I love watching how quickly she responds. She is Montessori dog.

Thanks to both of you-that is exactly what I needed to know-how to do the very first thing-I should have asked it as that.

So I tried this with the dog I thought might have a hard time getting the clicker-Mariele with the head injury. And I was wrong. After about 5 clicks she started doing sits and downs automatically to see if that would get her a click and a treat-I was astounded. She was staring at the clicker too-I am not sure if that is right or not-but it was cute. Like click, dangit! It may be like with kids and learning styles-this might be the thing that really helps her learn more easily (if I can learn it myself).

I think Bruno might like this. That is who I got it for, for his excessive barking. He's a yippy dog, sad to say. But very quick and likes things moving fast.

The mouth clicking has worked wonders with Anna, so I am excited to start this with the rest of the group. Glad I saw this thread because the problem has been how noisy the clickers are (for all of us).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts