German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GSD/Husky mix Arya is a little over a year old. Fully grown, she's about 56ish pounds (which the vet said was okay since her hair is so short, on top of how lean she is).

3 weeks ago, she dropped some weight out of nowhere. She's always been a picky water, so I thought maybe it had to do with what we were feeding her. Changed foods to a higher protein - nothing. Added other things to her food to encourage eating - nothing.

Took her to the vet yesterday because I was concerned about how thin she looked. I could see ribs and I was NOT okay with that. Vet confirmed she had worms (which is why she dropped weight so quickly and I wasn't able to put any back on her), gave her some dewormer and we were on our merry way.

Now the issue is how do I get the weight back on her quickly? Like I've mentioned, she's extremely lean so even losing a couple of pounds was extremely noticeable on her. Attached are some pictures of her at her normal weight.

I've been considering going a route where I'll use a high calorie supplement. She's a picky eater (so I don't think her "normal" eating would be fast enough to get her back to a healthy weight) so I need something that'll pack on the pounds quickly.

Any ideas/suggestions/brands of supplements that you all would recommend? I've seen good reviews with Nutri-Cal and Dyne but wanted a more personal recommendation. I'm a newbie GSD owner and I've never had an issue like this with any other dogs that I've owned so I'm at a loss.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Now the issue is how do I get the weight back on her quickly?
You don't.

Slow and steady wins the race. Trying to get her to gain quickly will cause GI upset or inflammation of the pancreas (if you suddenly offering lots of high fat options).

Since the underlying cause was taken care of, you can just increase her rations of her normal food (an extra 1/2 to full cup of kibble a day) and she will get there.

If you absolutely MUST do something, I personally, would avoid the high calorie commercial supplements as they are FULL of sugar and other not so healthy stuff. Just add some quality protein to her regular food, some chicken breast, a few eggs, cottage cheese, bit of beef, or nut butters (just a spoon full).

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
the first ingredient in Vertex is maltodextrin -- a highly processed starch (carbohydrate) which holds fats , which this product has an abundance of , in the powder until moistened.

the glycemic index is high -- you might as well be giving a shot of corn syrup. Does it plump the dog ?
Sure -- because unless used for instant energy , the calories from a sugar are stored as body fat.

What is important is that the dog may be wanting some probiotics in his diet to maximize absorption of the food he is getting -- and he may be a picky eater because he has some digestive discomfort , also bettered with probiotics and digestive enzymes . BUT - the maltodextrin , changes the gut flora . The beneficial bacteria are suppressed and crowded out .

you are setting yourself up for bigger problems including diminished response to e-coli and salmonella .

digestion is a complex process .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts