1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have only used the quick release type from Cherrybrook. I have never seen one made like on Leerburgs site. I like the Leerburg model better using the ordinary snap clip. I wonder who makes them? Great idea.

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
I would prefer the stainless steel one but I have the non-SS HS collar that I got from Jeffers, looks like the Cherrybrook one. Pretty darn strong. Renji hit the end of the leash on that prong on the dead ring at full bore (ACCIDENT- I got paid for my lack of proper reaction with rope burn and he didn't seem much fazed; bad trainer, no donut) and the collar was fine. I do examine it regularly though; equipment is only as good as it is made AND maintained.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the one on the leerburg site does look like it would be less likely to let go. anyone else?

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I have owned one of the HS stainless ones shown on the top at cherrybrook. I personally have never experienced any issues with it in the 10+ years I've had it, and it still looks brand new. I have, however, heard of it giving way on some people. The other one on Leerburg is also a Herm Springer product, and it looks like HS improved the design by changing the release. I would go with this one.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Do you put the quick release collar on - by unfastening prongs - like the regular, or do you thread it through to clasp?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I recently starting a quick release prong like the top one.

I was researching them online and by chance happened to find one in a local pet store. I was very nervous that it would let go at first but not anymore. I've used it 3 or 4 times today and love it! We did take some prongs off of it so it would fit better and I don't give her too much slack when I use it. Light pressure so I know it's secure.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Ok, I keep wondering if there is something I don't know -- assumed you'd used the clasp, bought one, and find it a nightmare to put on the dog. Just me?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I was at a Police K9 Memorial service (so sad) and there were 100's of officers, many with their dogs. One of the dogs lunged and the quick release snapped in half. It may have been on a leash, but it was the same type of clasp. Thank goodness for great obedience. The officer made his dog platz until new equipment was retrieved from the car. I don't think I would trust the one that is pinched together because I don't have absolute recall. The one with the snap hook looks like it would be more secure.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
I don't like the ones with the French scissors snap like in the first link. I've tried a few, and on every one the snaps have broken down over time and become very prone to letting go on their own. Not safe when you're prong collar just pops off the dog of it's own accord.

I've not tried the kind like on Leerburg's site, but while a bolt snap is a bit more heavy duty and less prone to having a mind of it's own than a scissors snap, it's still got the potential to snap open or break. Bolt snaps on leashes can do that, so I don't see why one on a collar wouldn't present a similar problem.

I'm just going to stick with the regular old fashioned prong collar where you've got to take it apart and open it up at the links. More secure and if links wear out they're easy to replace with a new one, unlike a snap.

·
Banned
297 Posts
Originally Posted By: MikeB06I have only used the quick release type from Cherrybrook. I have never seen one made like on Leerburgs site. I like the Leerburg model better using the ordinary snap clip. I wonder who makes them? Great idea.
Yeah, no kidding! I have a few of the cherrybrook ones in different sizes.

Edit: Mine are NOT the cherrybook ones. Mine do not have an adjustment at all. The only way I can change the size is by adding or removing links. The chain part on mine is solid. I'll find out the model tonight.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
herm springer makes the ones on the leerburg sites - you can get them different place. i wish the clasp would attach at multiple places in the chain (have to adjust w/links), but otherwise, i like them. teagan did break hers (at the clasp, like chris said) when we were being attacked, she had been doing a lot of plunging to get at the dogs ('why am i stuck on this traffic lead?! i can't get at them!') and at some point, it broke.

under normal situations though, i find it to be a good, solid collar, which stands up to corrections etc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
We have used the HS quick release ones on our last shep and our current shep. They have failed only once, but it wasn't from the clasp. My uncle was visiting and took the dog for a walk and couldn't figure out how to get it off the dog. He strong armed it and bent the prongs (we later found out) so it released on its own below the clasp. We have never had it fail due to the quick release.

Just be sure that you adjust it so that it's not too tight and pinching all the time, only when you give a small correction.

Both dogs behave SO differently with these collars. I highly recommend them especially if you have a strong big dog. If you put the dog in a sit before putting it on, you will have an easier time getting the chain through the hole to fasten. And remove the collar after the walk. They can really get caught on something which could cause injury to the dog. Good luck,
Sue

1 - 15 of 15 Posts