German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Turn down your volume...it was loud on my computer.

This is a few snippets of obedience with Kaiser yesterday. It may not look like much to most of you, but this was HUGE for us. Kaiser, while performing pretty well at home and in a few other very select venues, is extremely inattentive while at the training center or under any distractions. In fact, even having the other dogs put up at the center still leaves Kaiser wanting to sniff, run around, and pretty much do anything other than engage with me. We have changed our focus to drive work (hence the crazy looking toy). Kaiser seems to have flipped a switch and two days in a row now (friday and yesterday) has done better than I could have anticipated. Of course we have a LONG way to go before we are ready for our bh (99% just getting extended focus down...he can technically "do" everything else). I hope the video works. Its on facebook but I can't figure out how to download it.

eta, we are just starting our about turns so I forgot to turn into Kaiser instead of away.

https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=598126540200073

After training on friday I took Dakota and Kaiser for a hike and here are a few pictures from that fun afternoon.

sticks are great by jsnail17, on Flickr

zooming through the water by jsnail17, on Flickr

dirty but happy by jsnail17, on Flickr

coming to say hi by jsnail17, on Flickr

hiking fun by jsnail17, on Flickr

running together by jsnail17, on Flickr

checking out the marsh by jsnail17, on Flickr

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Very nice heeling :) Great photos as well, I really like the "coming to say hi" one :D

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you :) I almost feel silly sharing the video but I'm just so proud of the fact that he was "in to" what we were working on, even when he started getting tired. Hopefully I'll have another video, in time, that will show how far we can progress

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Each dog has their strength and weakness, I always remind myself that if I don't think we're moving forward then think 3 months back and look at where we were. :) I love good heeling because it really showcases the bond between the dog and human and obedience

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is also the first time I've ever seen myself training with him. I'd love to have them tape longer sessions, but right now his attention is still pretty limited. I love seeing sharp heeling as well, when the dog is so engaged with the handler and actually looks like he's having fun. Hopefully we will get there :)

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gosh they LOVE hiking...its like the greatest thing in the world to them. The unfortunate downside is that we can only go now or in the late fall (or during the winter, of course) because as soon as it gets warm there are WAY too many mosquitoes and ticks (and I haven't found a way to really keep the ticks off of them)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts