German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
nothing dramatic just thought i'd get a heads up is all
We have a rescue pup named indigo, we are just fostering her until we can adopt her (after she is spayed). She is scheduled to be spayed on the 11th.
They had guessed her age previously at about 10 months.

Problem is I just discovered she went into heat. I started noticing the increased peeing and licking the last day or so, but today when i came home from work, there on my hardwood floor was the evidence.

I will call the vet that will be spaying her in the morning, they are already closed for the night.
I just wanted to see if anyone here knows or thinks that spaying her on the 11th might be a problem with her actually being in heat?

Also do she dogs go through the same, unhappiness as us females?
bloating, cramping, tiredness etc?
She does seem especially lazy last day or so too.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Would there be a big problem waiting for a few months? Yes females can be spayed while in heat, but chances of complications from bleeding are much greater.

Ideally, IMHO the best time is right smack dab in the middle of two heat cycles, so assuming she would cycle again End of Dec./First of Jan, the Sept would be a good time to spay.

I like the hormones at the most neutral point, some females don't have any problems post spay, but some females have some problems getting adjusted to the difference in hormone level post spay.

Val

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Please do not spay her while she is in heat. It is a much more invassive surgery (not too mention more expensive) also the recovery time is longer ....

And, I do believe that they are sore, tired and not feeling well as we feel at times. I know Ava slept A LOT ... and she is not the type that likes to take naps. But, she slept a lot and was pretty quiet most of the time - when it hit the 2 1/2 week mark her energy was getting better and she was a bit more eager to play.

I hope I have helped ... I'm sure others will chime in.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice.
I don't really have a say in waiting, I know they won't let me wait 3 or 4 months.
As I said she is technically only y foster, I cannot adopt her officially until she is done being spayed.

Now I guess I'm just hoping when I call to tell them in the morning they will put it off for at least a month until she's dones her cycle.
Unfortunatley they are not MY vet, they are a vet through the rescue group.
While I'm eager to have her as our own, officially, I don't want to rush her health just to do so.

We are just limited with what we can with her (training, groomer etc) until she's officially ours etc

·
Registered
196 Posts
I agree with GSDgirlAL, spaying will usually cost considerably more while the animal is in heat. Best to wait.

I'm not sure if dogs have all the symptoms us humans have, but I hate witnessing animals in heat...it seems very uncomfortable

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the cost and ultimate decisioun isn't mine, for the reason I already stated.
but based on this, I am going to call the vet, with more of an attitued to reschedule, because of her heat, instead of , should I because of her heat. Let them tell me I can't.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
What did the Vet say about getting her spayed?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi,
The vet said there wouldn't be a problem, but that there would be an extra charge on the rescue org for doing it while she's in heat.

I told them i'd call them back because I might need to re-schedule for personal reasons.

Im still debating it and Im going to call MY vet on Monday and see what she says about it all.

Not that I doubt this vets experience Im sure he's very good. But its kind of like taking my kid to a pediatrician I don't know...
We have only had her since May but we all (including Echo) would be devestated if something happend to our little girl.

While Im sure for this vet, if something happened to her, it's just another rescue dog in his eyes.

On another note, this whole Womanly thing is a pain in the ass!
Just just a tad too big for a jumbo diaper LOL

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I'm surprised this Vet was okay doing in while she is in heat. maybe your Vet will want to wait. Have you talked to them already?

And, yes this female thing isn't too fun. I actually went to Petco and bought Ava one of those garmets to wear and that I just put a pad in it. Just start counting down the days! :) 3 weeks isn't too long!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts