German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I just got my puppy saturday. The original owner said the black on his back may recede to tan. Im a new gsd owner but ive never heard of puppys hair changing color. His dad is a black/tan. His mom is a black with very little tan and some silver. Sorry but this is the best pic I could get but I can see his color

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
Breeder may have been describing what is called a bitch stripe. Common in showlines. And certain lines have it more dominant. Mom is black with very little tan? As in a bi-color or blanket? Do you have photo's or a link to the parents(or their pedigree)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Yes, GSD pups usually change coat. The black will likely recede and the tan will fill the space. Look around for color change threads.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Breeder may have been describing what is called a bitch stripe. Common in showlines. And certain lines have it more dominant. Mom is black with very little tan? As in a bi-color or blanket? Do you have photo's or a link to the parents(or their pedigree)
Parents pics r attatched. Got him from an individual not a breeder. He did not treat the parents very good judging from the pics. As I said, im new to gsd and not really sure what a blanket is...sorry. also, the last pic is another of my puppy. U can see his color a little better. What color what u say he is? A normal black/tan?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
Yes a black and tan. Mom looks so sad...on a chain!!?
How many pups were in the litter?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Your pup will likely look pretty close to how dad looks. Mom looks so sad.

·
Registered
32,013 Posts
That individual IS a breeder. Anyone who breeds dog to bitch to produce a litter is a breeder. Seeing a bitch chained and a pup in a make-shift shelter will probably spark some indignation.

But you have your puppy. Probaby the back will be black like the sire and dam, and the legs will be tan like the sire's You can see the dam's lightening as well. Whether or not the pup develops a bitch stripe, I don't know, it is just part of the coloring, and really doesn't affect the look of the saddle. My guess is your pup will be a saddle back.

I am glad that your pup will have a good home. Don't worry over much about where he came from.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ugh, I'd love to give that "breeder" a piece of my mind. This is taking byb to a new level. What horrible people who should see what it feels like to be chained like that.
As for your puppy, he will likely be more like the father.

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts