German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Just wanted to say that I am a new member but have been reading a ton of info on this site and must say that it is great! I am about to be a somewhat new (pure) GSD owner and have been doing a lot of research on training methods. I came across Leerburgs site and find it very intersesting on his methods for raising dogs and was wondering if any of you have followed his principles and what the outcomes may have been? Good or bad. I know that some might find his methods harsh but wanted others opinions before I plunk down money for his DVD's. Thanks to anyone who replies.

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
Members please keep in mind that any negative comments must be sent via PM.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Here's my training method:

1. Using rewards I show the dog what I want them to do. I reward correct behavior and ignore incorrect. This is the learning stage for the dog.

2. After I am sure the dog understands what I want them to do I proof the behavior. I do this in many settings. Just because I taught the dog to Sit while we were in a quiet room in our house doesn't mean I should expect the dog to know how to do a sit in a crowded waiting room at the vets office. So I take the dog everywhere and proof the behavior.

3. By now I KNOW the dog understands what SIT means. Any non-compliance is met with a correction. I DO keep in mind that there may be a reason WHY the dog didn't perform to my expectations - like the dog has impacted anal glands ans sitting hurts.

This is what I do if I want 100% compliance 100% of the time - I get one of these

As far as Leerburg is concerned, I think there are other ways, IMHO better ways to teach a dog.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
I like the Leerburg website. There's a lot of great information on it, and I point people to it frequently. That said, I take what works for me and what I'm comfortable using, and I leave the rest. Same with any other trainer and with any other type of training website.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I take some, and I leave some. I like that he has shared a lot of articles and how-tos on his site. The only major thing where I differ is socializing my dogs, which I do extensively regardless of their status as a pet or "working"/performance dog.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The socializing aspect is kind of confusing in regards to the "no one allowed to pet your dog" theory. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Originally Posted By: Lauri & The GangHere's my training method:

1. Using rewards I show the dog what I want them to do. I reward correct behavior and ignore incorrect. This is the learning stage for the dog.

2. After I am sure the dog understands what I want them to do I proof the behavior. I do this in many settings. Just because I taught the dog to Sit while we were in a quiet room in our house doesn't mean I should expect the dog to know how to do a sit in a crowded waiting room at the vets office. So I take the dog everywhere and proof the behavior.

3. By now I KNOW the dog understands what SIT means. Any non-compliance is met with a correction. I DO keep in mind that there may be a reason WHY the dog didn't perform to my expectations - like the dog has impacted anal glands ans sitting hurts.

This is what I do if I want 100% compliance 100% of the time - I get one of these

As far as Leerburg is concerned, I think there are other ways, IMHO better ways to teach a dog.
There is no "Leerburg" or "Ed Frawley" method of dog training. recently he has been encouraging people to try "Marker" training and has a few demo videos he's posted showing some of the results. I find that he is open minded enough to recognize something that is effective

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I must have missed that on his site. His theories do make sense to me so I will order them and watch for myself. I just want to try to eliminate as many mistakes as possible. Thanks again for the replies.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
Ed has been very helpful with my son's competitive yellow lab who finished second in the world championship trialthon event last year.

At times he is harsh, but with his advice regarding "Jumpin George" it was just the opposite.

As for Lauri and her gang I simply do not agree. She is also from SE Wisconsin but I have never met her at any event. It just makes me wonder.

Good luck, and Ed Frawley and the Leerbugh guys are worth paying attention to.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Before there was positive only, there was old school.
Then there came click and treat. Today on one side you got
alpha rolling dog "whispering" and the other positive only to the point of
being trained by the dog. It's not always easily do detect the pepper from the fly speck in the pile of salt called dog training, and the business
has easy marks bombarding them from all directions. Buyer beware.
After enough operant conditioning from the hucksters, and enough experience one learns to realize there is a lot of salt, and too much
of anything is often not good, and nobody has all the answers, all the time. Take what's useful, but don't drink the kool-aid.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Too late to edit...

you'll find, if you look thoroughly, folks change, adapt and employ new techniques and theories. There is much to be learned from anybody with decades of experience. Some things work better with some dogs better than others, because both dogs and handlers are individuals, the sum of their own experiences.

So it is with all endeavors. Just take it all in knowing there is a grain of salt or two in all opinions. Remember, more often than not, the best trainer is standing there in front of you, on four paws, smiling.
Anger and dog training mix like oil and water, and do not make a solution.

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
Originally Posted By: Timber1Ed has been very helpful with my son's competitive yellow lab who finished second in the world championship trialthon event last year.

At times he is harsh, but with his advice regarding "Jumpin George" it was just the opposite.

As for Lauri and her gang I simply do not agree. She is also from SE Wisconsin but I have never met her at any event. It just makes me wonder.

Good luck, and Ed Frawley and the Leerbugh guys are worth paying attention to.
So why does Lauri not meeting you have anything to do with what works for her? I have been to numerous events in my part of the country and have never met a lot of people. Doesn't make their advice any less worthy than the advice of anyone else.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have found their advice useful - doesn't mean I follow everything exactly as they do it, but it's a great place to start. If there's something you don't like or just doesn't work with you and/or your dog, there are lots of options out there. I pick and choose what I think will work best for me and that particular dog.

Overall, however, I think their stuff is a great resource whether you choose to do it exactly as they do is up to you.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Originally Posted By: Timber1As for Lauri and her gang I simply do not agree.
Agree with what? That there are better ways to train a dog?

Any trainer worth their salt will freely admit that no ONE way works for ALL dogs. IF they think that then they are closed minded and not someone I would want to take advice from.

Originally Posted By: Timber1 She is also from SE Wisconsin but I have never met her at any event. It just makes me wonder.
Wonder what?? Why you don't see me at competitions?

I have a Cocker Spaniel that LIVES to lure course and my Crested loves it also. Unfortunately neither breed are NOT allowed to compete in lure coursing in AKC. So instead we started the first All Breed Lure Coursing club in the WORLD and have helped two other clubs get started as well. And every summer we are all over SE Wisconsin introducing other dogs to the sport at fundraisers for worthy animal causes.

I do what my DOGS like to do - whatever it is. And if that means we can't compete in that - who cares. I don't - I just want my dogs to have fun.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts