German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am new to the forums and new to the breed. I rescued a German Shepherd a few days ago from a rescue organization. He is 15 months old. His vet checks with the rescue all came back normal. They were from a couple weeks ago. He's neutered, microchipped etc. I am very impressed with the breed, and the intelligence of the dog.

My only concern is that I have seen him eating his poop a few times now, right when he goes. I work with someone who has a Shepherd and he said his dog does it from time to time. I've had dobermans, shelties, and other breeds, and have never seen any of them do this. It is shocking.

He has a vet appointment this Saturday for a general health check and to get him acquainted with our vet. The foster family that had him said he was on medium grade, donated food. When we got him we switched him to Natural Balance LID, because that is what we were used to with our Doberman, as it was the ONLY food she would eat.

Any tips, thoughts, concerns regarding the poop eating? He is energetic, loves to eat, loves to play, runs around outside, etc.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Welcome!

I am sure someone, several someones will answer you soon. I know I have read similar questions before so you may find a tread that already addresses this issue.

Be sure to post pictures!

·
Super Moderator
4,684 Posts
Glad you are getting a health check. That is always first. Some dogs, it seems, just like to eat poop. The best course of action is to always pick the poop up as soon as you can. You can teach him a "leave it" command, which you'll need for other things besides pooh anyhow.
some people add stuff to the dog's diet to try and make the pooh taste worse. :eek: I can't imagine it tasting worse than it already is, but that is something you can ask your vet.

·
Registered
468 Posts
some people add stuff to the dog's diet to try and make the pooh taste worse. :eek: I can't imagine it tasting worse than it already is, but that is something you can ask your vet.
I have heard pineapple does this. My friend's dog just likes to eat poop. It disturbs me, but my dogs love to raid the kitty litterbox (which is why it's in inaccessible locations now). I know theres OTC stuff you can buy, but I'm not 100% sure how successful it is. I have also heard of dogs eating poo if they're not getting enough nutrients. Have you thought about not using a LID with him? A strong "leave it" will probably end up being your best bet IMO.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Some dogs just do it for fun.

It can also be learned from other dogs. There are various feed thru methods of curbing it. I prefer scoop and supervise method.

I have a dog who developed it as part of a health problem, later exacerbated by steroids making her hungry all the time. I give up with that one, I can prevent it with wtrict supervision and I do...but I am past trying to train or change anything with her. I dont think she can help it. I go with them at poop time and pick up each one as it happens. Every so often she gets one. Most of the time not. Best we can do. Thank god my younger ones dont, I find it very objectionable. Although I have caught my adult male wanting to lick other dogs poop like he licks pee because he is intact. BLEH. I don't let hin get in habits like that. He kisses me. That's nasty

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have heard pineapple does this. My friend's dog just likes to eat poop. It disturbs me, but my dogs love to raid the kitty litterbox (which is why it's in inaccessible locations now). I know theres OTC stuff you can buy, but I'm not 100% sure how successful it is. I have also heard of dogs eating poo if they're not getting enough nutrients. Have you thought about not using a LID with him? A strong "leave it" will probably end up being your best bet IMO.
Thanks for the reply. (Thank you everyone for the replies). Yes, we are going to move him to Victor. My wife read about it, and the pro and pre biotics seem like a good addition to the food. We will see what the vet says tomorrow, but his check a few weeks ago was all good news. I did buy nutravet stuff to help, but it hasn't done anything. I will update when I hear from the vet tomorrow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts