German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

So, I have an appointment for Whitman tomorrow as a general check up and for him to see the vet. The rescue already has done all of his shots, and he is on Frontline and Heartgard.

He is growing REALLY fast (at least, it SEEMS really fast, 2+ pounds a week!).

All in all he seems to me, to be like a healthy, happy puppy. Are there anythings that are GSD specific I should ask her? Anything in particular to watch out for?

This is a new vet for me - the vet my cats go to was not accepting any more dog-patients, and I didn't really love them anyway. So, Whitman is the guinea-dog at this place, and when my cats are ready for new shots I'll bring them here too. I've only heard fantastic things about them, and was able to talk to the doctor during a big adoption event in the city, and she seems great.

Thanks so much! This site really has been fantastic, and a wealth of info!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
You want him checked for hip dysplasia, to include xrays. A basic temperment assessment and fecal check. Not sure what his age is, depending on that, could be more.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Ask you vet about a feeding routine based on the growth rate of the GSD. I know when I took my puppy in for the first time I was shocked at the small amount of food I needed to feed him. He explained to me about not wanting them to grow too fast..etc. It was very interesting and educational.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@ Relayer he is about 4.5/5 months old. We're not entirely sure. He still has a good amount of puppy teeth!

Thanks @ Lilie - right now he is on a mix of Science Diet Puppy (I know, I know, it was given to me by a friend) and Purina One Large Breed Puppy (Again, I know...but it was on sale, and I don't know if I can afford the high-end grain-free stuff.) I have to finish these but don't know exactly what to feed after that. His poops have been pretty consistent in the last 2 weeks. The first week it was all over - foster mom had him on Alpo dog kibble...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts