German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I have a 15 week old long coat German shepherd! He is the apple of my eye, I love him so much! The only thing concerning me has been that one of his testicles has not dropped yet. I know there’s still a possibility it will drop and maybe it won’t... has anyone’s GSD’s testicle dropped after 3 months of age?

Also - I have always planned to neuter him (as I have no interest in shows/breeding) but my vet said if his testicle doesn’t drop we should consider neutering him early due to risk of torsion and testicular cancer. But I was wondering if anyone’s had the experience of waiting it out? I want to ideally wait when he is 18 months to neuter him because I want him to benefit from his testosterone so he can grow and have his growth plates close to prevent joint/hip problems.

Can anyone give me their suggestions/experience about this? Would be super appreciated!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hello, darling puppy and congratulations! To answer your question, i have had two dogs (neither gsd) with this issue. My vet told me to wait for at least 6 months but no longer than a year. I wanted to wait as long as possible to let them develop naturally. One had both at 7 months but the 2nd i waited for a year but nothing. So he had the surgery at a year. Both lived to be an old men.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello, darling puppy and congratulations! To answer your question, i have had two dogs (neither gsd) with this issue. My vet told me to wait for at least 6 months but no longer than a year. I wanted to wait as long as possible to let them develop naturally. One had both at 7 months but the 2nd i waited for a year but nothing. So he had the surgery at a year. Both lived to be an old men.

Thank you!! If I may ask, did they end up at their full growth even with the neutering at 6 months to 1 year?

·
Registered
166 Posts
You're very welcome. One was a mutt dog so i really can't say but he looked beautiful. The other was a Husky and he was fine, grew to be larger than his siblings. Before 10 years back i neutered/spayed all my dogs/cats at after a year and haven't had an issue but with all the new "evidence", i just wait until 2 now... less worry i guess.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
I would not be in a hurry to neuter him. Give him time to mature. I also would very much consider only removing the retained testicle leaving him with the one intact. Hormones are very important for joint health and the endocrine system.

Just want to add he is very cute!

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
I had a young male who dropped at 4 months. Another who dropped one, but not the other around the same time. If it is not down by 6 months I doubt it is coming down.

Most people I know wait until the dog is 2 to neuter even when only one testicle has dropped. They will have it done when the dog is already under anesthesia for hips/elbows.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
I would not be in a hurry to neuter him. Give him time to mature. I also would very much consider only removing the retained testicle leaving him with the one intact. Hormones are very important for joint health and the endocrine system.

Just want to add he is very cute!

This is very important if you plan on doing any type of sports with your dog.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Mine had a retained testicle. I had two different vets tell me they thought it was fine to wait until 2 to remove the retained one. I didn't wind up getting it done until he was 2 and a half anyway I think. Just scheduling trying to figure out a good time for him to have that big rest period.

So mine made it that long with no problems and then had the surgery. Both my vets were supportive of me waiting to let him mature.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Levi had a retained testicle. We just had him neutered several months ago. He was about 2.5 years old. I suppose there is a somewhat higher risk of torsion, but my vet didn't seem worried about it. I was dreading the procedure because of a bad experience in the past with another shep, but everything went amazingly well. The vet did the procedure laprocscopically (with a laser) and Levi seemed to be back to his old self the very next day. He didn't even have to wear a cone. The hardest part was keeping him calm for a few days afterward.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Levi had a retained testicle. We just had him neutered several months ago. He was about 2.5 years old. I suppose there is a somewhat higher risk of torsion, but my vet didn't seem worried about it. I was dreading the procedure because of a bad experience in the past with another shep, but everything went amazingly well. The vet did the procedure laprocscopically (with a laser) and Levi seemed to be back to his old self the very next day. He didn't even have to wear a cone. The hardest part was keeping him calm for a few days afterward.
I'm jealous. Mine was a a hurtin unit, let me tell you. He was literally hobbling around the next day. I'm actually grateful he was sore because it cooperated for a few days at least before he felt all better and then it was a real struggle to make him take it easy for I think 2 weeks.. UGH. Thank god that's over with.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I'm jealous. Mine was a a hurtin unit, let me tell you. He was literally hobbling around the next day. I'm actually grateful he was sore because it cooperated for a few days at least before he felt all better and then it was a real struggle to make him take it easy for I think 2 weeks.. UGH. Thank god that's over with.
I am glad it's over with too! I kept putting it off because it was so awful with the last dog. Poor guy, the site got infected I think, (my memory is hazy) but he had to go back to the vet for another night or two, he was miserable, had to wear a cone.

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
I had Max neutered at two he had a retained testicle and decided that would be a good age. What the vet said at the time made much sense.I know of a dog who did get cancer before two and passed so you want to make sure your vet is on the same page and see no health issues. His retained testicle was near his kidney so they had to dig for it they did take X-rays prior to surgery. The surgery did take some time. It was more expensive but I had the option for laser surgery -less healing time but harder to slow them down. He had a real rough night but he was hard to slow down the next day because he had the laser surgery and because he is very athletic it took 4 weeks before those stitches were ready to come out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts