German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got these supplements a few days ago, and I want to know if they're ok for my dogs.

I have 2 adults, a 3 year-old female around 80 lbs, 6 year-old male aprox. 75 lbs., and a 10 year-old mini poodle, 16 lbs.

Well, I think what I'd want to use would be the salmon oil, vitamin E and I don't know about the rest.
They were intended for my sick puppy but I never got to give them to her. Maybe I should return them to the store... they're still sealed,except for the slippery elm, which anyway I'll keep.

Should I go with the doses they say in the bottle? The salmon oil says 2 softgels twice a day, the vitamin E 1 softgel once or twice daily.

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
Depends on the dogs weight. THat dosage is fine for a 60# dog, for a smaller one, I'd lower it.
So the poodle would get just about one gelcap of salmon, and a squirt of E, if I were giving it. You really can't over do the oil, but E should be limited to 400iu daily for a larger breed.
Keeping you in my thoughts:)

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Onyx'girl / Jane :hug:

Thank you! I'll ask around the poodle forum just to be sure about the little one.
I guess he'll also need glucosamine/chondroitin.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forgot to ask, if they're softgels and they don't eat them like that or spit them out, I can open them and pour the gel inside on their food, right?

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Forgot to ask, if they're softgels and they don't eat them like that or spit them out, I can open them and pour the gel inside on their food, right?
I poke a hole in one end of both the fish oil and the vitamin E and squirt it onto Shasta's food. She thinks it enhances the taste!

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
My dogs eat them like treats. The only supplement I have to crush and diguise are the B and C vitamins.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
My dogs eat them like treats. The only supplement I have to crush and diguise are the B and C vitamins.
Jane, have you ever tried chewable C for your dogs?

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
I'm too frugal! I've seen it, but just buy the ones you swallow, my family shares the bottle with the dogs, so we go thru C crazy.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I'm too frugal! I've seen it, but just buy the ones you swallow, my family shares the bottle with the dogs, so we go thru C crazy.
My husband prefers the chewables. I'm just wondering if Shasta would like them, too. Although right now she's getting plain tablets hidden in canned food.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I buy powdered C or capsules and open them up.

Rafi gets 2 fish oil capsule plus 1 E plus 2000mg C plus a zillion other things (for his joints and digestion). The heavy dose of C is for his joints too.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I wouldn't use the B12 or A, the rest look good.

If you think a B vit is needed a B complex would be a better choice as all the B's work together.

Vit A is fat soluble and can be overdone. I don't think it is necessary unless there is a dietary need for it. In my opinion a better choice for extra vit a is carrots or sweet potatoes. I love getting vitamins and minerals from foods rather than pills and the vit a in the above is beta carotene which will only be converted if the body needs it.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I put the gel caps in their kibble and add a little water and they eat them right up. I do add yogurt or cottage cheese daily also. 2capsuls daily and 1 vit e 400iu.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Natalie, thank you. Those were intended for my puppy with renal failure, but I couldn't even give them to her. I lost her before I could.
As I said in my first post, I will return them to the store as they're still sealed.

Thanks, Zayda. Do you mean 2 capsules of Salmon oil daily? Are they also 1000 mg too or other?

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Natalie, thank you. Those were intended for my puppy with renal failure, but I couldn't even give them to her. I lost her before I could.
As I said in my first post, I will return them to the store as they're still sealed.

Thanks, Zayda. Do you mean 2 capsules of Salmon oil daily? Are they also 1000 mg too or other?
Yes they are 1000mg gel caps salmon oil. look up Carlsons Norwegian Salmon oil it is a very good one.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
I got these supplements a few days ago, and I want to know if they're ok for my dogs.

I have 2 adults, a 3 year-old female around 80 lbs, 6 year-old male aprox. 75 lbs., and a 10 year-old mini poodle, 16 lbs.
What health or physical problems do the dogs have? How varied is their raw diet? What percentage of their diet is made up of fish or grass-fed red meat (beef, bison, lamb, etc.)?

I don't believe in giving supplements unless a dog NEEDS supplements.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts