German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to switch my dogs to a raw diet, and I have read that the first days you should only feed RMB and then slowly start adding organs and meat, is that right?
How long would be the best? I have found from 3 days to two weeks :confused:

Also, what would be the best RMB to start? I was thinking about necks, which ones would you recommend, chicken or turkey?
I read in a website that some people complain that some chicken bones can break dogs teeth, is this true? Has anybody experienced this?

I still have lots of questions, I've been reading a lot about this, and I still feel very nervous about not doing it right. :(

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

· Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I plan to switch cold turkey.
Should I remove the skin from the chicken quarters?

I've also read canned pumpkin helps if they have runny stools, I always keep those handy just in case.

So I just need to keep adding either new proteins or organs and muscle meat very slowly til their stomachs get used to everything.

Thank you SO much! It was a lot of very useful info! Yes, there's still a lot more to learn, and I really appreciate the help!

· Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Anja! I read the "sample" contents and it was definitely interesting.

Right now (while I continue my research) I'm transitioning from Blue Buffalo to Orijen, and so far they're doing well. I think I'll just let them finish the 15 lbs bags I have and then switch them cold turkey to raw.
I hope by then I'm better prepared!

Or should I just switch them right away and leave the dry food as a back up? If Orijen is high in protein, would it be a good switch from it to raw?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.