German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow GSD owners, trainers and the like! I am currently feeding my 12 year old Sasha on the BARF diet, however as she slowed down I took her off the bones and opted for ground meals instead.

She eats raw ground turkey and the organs, I get it from a great supplier who actually gets his tested in a lab and I have all the proper nutrional info (and a label!) on the boxes as I buy. Talking to my vet about a year ago, she insisted Sasha keep a lower weight in her golden age. She is normally about 80lbs and eats 2lbs of meat a day - this is not including treats etc.

However I have noticed she looks a bit thin, perhaps I'm not used to it? What do you feed on average if you have a dog about the same size? Any advice?:help:

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
I would suggest taking her to the vet just to get weighed.

Keeping an eye on our senior dogs weight is very important - regardless of what they are fed. Unexplained weight loss could be a sign of a physical problem.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Giving us a weight doesn't tell us anything really. You could have a small dog at 80 lbs and I'd tell you she's fat. You could have a tall dog at 80 lbs and I'd tell you she looks good. If you have photos from the side and over the top that'd be much easier to go by.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts