German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My puppy, who is just over 6 months old goes to daycare once a week. Right now as she gets used to things her playgroup only consists of two females but they wanted to try and put her in the larger puppy group and see how she does.
She is not fixed, and I read they can only get pregos in their first heat. What does this mean though? Do you know for sure when she is in heat? Can she get pregnant just before her heat? Is there a certain time in her heat, like mid heat she only gets pregnant? I guess what I want to know is how obvious is it that she may get pregnant? Is it plainly not obvious or do you positively know for sure?
Thanks! :)

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
They can get pregnant on EVERY heat, certainly not just the first one.

A heat cycle lasts 3-4 weeks. While there are certain periods within that timeframe that they can and can't get pregnant, when that occurs will vary amongst individual dogs. So the only way to be safe is to avoid contact with intact males for the entire 4 weeks.

Heat cycles are usually pretty obvious. There will be swelling of the vulva and bloody discharge. But again, how much varies amongst individuals. Some you can't miss, others have lighter heats and/or are very good at cleaning up after themselves so it could be missed. Especially if the owner isn't familiar with heat cycles and not sure on what to look for. First heats in young dogs are often very light also, making them even easier to miss.

If you're going to have an intact female participating in play groups with males who are also intact, it is absolutely imperative that you watch her for signs of being in heat and avoid all contact with males during the month or so that a heat cycle lasts.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you soooo much! I forgot to subcribe to this and thought no one answered me lol.

Thanks again for the info!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts