German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions about ears standing .. Some GSD related, some not, and some comparisons. So here goes.

I have yorkies and one larger girl who's ears were not going to stand. They were very flopped over at 4 months old. A lot of GSD people would say to wait it out a month or so more. Yorkie owners and breeders recommend taping ears by 12 week if they aren't attempting to go up depending on how thick the ear leather is. So if taping is the usual method for yorkies, would it not apply to GSDs as well? I have no intentions of taping them at all. Gunner's left ear is up, up, and away. lol The above mentioned yorkie has now had her ears up and staying up after 4 weeks of taping. Would taping damage the base of the ear on a GSD depending on which taping method was used?

I had a few more questions that I forget now but if I remember, I'll post them as well.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I myself would prefer to use glue than taping if I ever had to use it. I think the tape is just to heavy for the GSD ear's. I'm sure someone else with more experience on this subject can answer better than I.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i don't know anything about Yorkies. my daughter is looking into them. she has a Blood Hound. can you imagine a Yorkie and a Blood Hound together. i had a Shep who's ears didn't stand up untill he was 6 months old. his ears did the ear dance untill he was 6 months old. don't most GSD's ears go up naturally or is there a high percentage of ears that need help or don't go up at all???

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
hehehe Doggiedad. I had a Yorkie and a Great dane at the same time.
They were great together despite the height difference.

I am not into taping and let the ears do as they wish, My Yorkies ears never stood but he was still a cutie. And they went with My danes ears as they weren't hacked off.

Might it have to do with size difference in the ears and the thickness?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts