German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have had my GSD for about 3 years now and sorry if I'm not very good at describing his health situation, I don't think I've ever encountered this issue with other dogs before and I have visited many vets around my area and all of them have said something along the lines of atopic dermatitis but I'm not sure if that's all there is to it, any help would be very much appreciated!

So my dog has had many issues with his overall health such as his ears having lotsa gunk inside of it, itchy skin in general, fur shedding, amongst many other things but the thing that concerns me the most is his rashes that he gets near his genitals and there was a point in time where that cleared up and became his normal light skin, but then it keeps going back to red/black rashes every so often.

Currently what worries me the most is his chest, he has this patch of skin/fur that constantly would be really warm and just wet, kinda sticky, and smells really bad, we have tried many different medication with him, and it got better momentarily but due to the virus we were unable to go back to the vet and now he relapsed. :( He doesn't seem to want to lie down and when we pet or try to dry that area he gets really snappy and whiny, which has never happened before.

I got some pictures, please let me know if I need more clearer ones and I will try my best when he's less cranky to do so!

It's just been constantly damp and after a bath it gets even more so even when we use a blower to dry him, also that patch of skin has been getting droopier than usual, and I always feel that his face is also a bit droopy for GSD, but that could be my paranoia.

I hope someone can help me with this issue, please let me know if anyone has any ideas, thank you so much!

·
Premium Member
4,762 Posts
You really need to take him to the vet.

quote: "he has this patch of skin/fur that constantly would be really warm and just wet, kinda sticky, and smells really bad, ears having lotsa gunk inside of it, itchy skin in general "

Sounds like hot spots, but vet would need to identify.
To give him some relief, have you tried Zymox products for skin and ears? Zymox Ear Solutions: Antibiotics & Ear Cleaners | PetSmart

Are you in Poland? Do you have a "Petsmart" type store there or a delivery company? This is a petsmart site in Poland: Poland Which shows the items I mention here.

Sometimes a change in foods will help the skin issues. I would use a Limited Ingredient Diet (LID) product, if possible, to cut down on the amount of different ingredients in the kibble.
INSTINCT (use to be called Nature's VARIETY) is a good brand for that but don't know if the LID variety is available in your country. Here is their LID Diet: Nature's Variety® Instinct® Limited Ingredient Diet Adult Dog Food - Natural, Grain Free, Raw, Lamb | dog Dry Food | PetSmart

Here is INSTINCT's original product.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts