German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been feeding my older German Shepherd Natures Recipe for quite awhile. Mostly because..well it was available at Petsmart! So, it was always easy to find! She ate taste of the wild as a pup..it was good food at a pretty decent price but now and then the store wouldn't have it available..so it was frustrating trying to maintain a steady diet when often I would have to substitute.

Anyway..we moved to the Charlotte, NC area in January..and I found a place called "the complete pet mart" and they carry brands like TOTW, Orijen, Natures Variety, Innova...etc...

My question is..is there a HUGE difference in quality with brands like TOTW vs. Orijen...I almost picked up Orijen since my latest rescue dog has had skin/fur loss and I want to make sure he keeps making steady progress...so I want to feed a grainless food!

I was torn between these three: Natures Variety: Instinct, Taste of the Wild and Orijen.

I picked up Taste of the Wild because it happened to be on sale and I know my other shepherd did wonderful on it..no loose stools, maintained a healthy weight, beautiful skin/coat.

I am guessing I'll have pretty good results with either..but does price really make much of a difference? I currently supplement with fish oil and probiotics..

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I really don't know, I guess it's a matter of your dog's taste and digestion and how much you want to spend. I use Nature's Variety Instinct Rabbit but it's only available at my vet's office so it's ridiculously expensive. I'm going to try TOTW or Wellness CORE because like you, I can't see much of a difference in quality but there is a great difference in price.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Orijen's ingredients definitely blow any other grain free food away, but it's also significantly more expensive than TOTW. TOTW is also lower in calories and fat than Orijen so you have to feed a little more which does chip away at the savings your getting buying TOTW. However, TOTW is a great food and if your dogs do well on it use it- I buy a bag now and then just to mix up the food a little since my one dog bores easily with her foods:)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I guess I just didn't want to feel like I was getting cheap with my dogs food. I suppose it could be worse! I just want to know that I'm feeding a high quality food that will benefit my dog and it seems like it's a good food so I'm happy with my choice.

I did notice the amount to feed of Orijen and was really surprised at how little they have to eat of the food in order to get the nutrients. I almost bought it just for that reason since my female shepherd is a very finicky eater...she's not picky..but it takes her forever to finish a bowl of food.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I picked up Taste of the Wild because it happened to be on sale and I know my other shepherd did wonderful on it..no loose stools, maintained a healthy weight, beautiful skin/coat.

I am guessing I'll have pretty good results with either..but does price really make much of a difference? I currently supplement with fish oil and probiotics..
Those three are all good choices. There is a difference in quality but it is not always directly related to price. Orijen is the best out of those (highest quality) but the other two are also very good high quality foods.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts