German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
U.B. is my beautiful GSD and he's had so many health issues in his 8.5 years. So much so that it took 6 years for his ears to stand up, but they finally did. Anyway, he's now dx'd with PF and we're doing whatever is necessary to make him comfortable, and hopefully go into remission. I bought him from a BYB who had AKC papers for him and his breeding background looked good on paper. My question is, have you guys found more health issues from BYB's vs. what I guess I would call professional breeders?

I'm hoping to have my boy around for a long time to come, but he has so many issues, another of them being what my vet called "the worst hips" she's ever seen. I'd like to get another GSD when he's gone and am wondering if I need to start saving my dollars now to get a dog from a professional breeder, which typically cost $1k and up. Any thoughts? Your responses are most appreciated. If I've posted in the wrong category, please feel free to move. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I am sorry for your boy's diagnosis.

As for your future investment... Start saving now :)

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
PF's can pop up in any line, any dog. You usually see it with dogs who have other issues before you see the PF's, allergies, IBD, GI issues, immune system issues.

The two of mine that had PF's actually had the pf's as a result of anal gland issues, so not considered 'true' pf disease, neither had underlying issues and both came from good breeders.

I'm sorry you and your pooch are going thru this, join the PF email list, it's a wealth of information and support.

perianal-fistulas

1 - 3 of 3 Posts