German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,I don't have a pup at the moment,but was wondering if you can train a dog to fetch.I assumed was a given for dogs but relized some dogs don't fetch.

Any tricks are tips to train a young pup to fetch balls etc.I enjoy that activity with my pets,no concearns really if the pup does not fetch but do enjoy if did.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Nearly all the German shepherds I've been around have at least some natural retrieving instinct. I've never had a problem getting a shepherd to chase and retrieve objects. The best thing you can do is when you get your pup, you do a lot of retrieve games where you praise and reward your pup every time he brings something to you. Encourage him to chase a rolled ball and then when he catches up to it, clap your hands and run away from him so that he grabs the ball and chases you. You want to make retrieving SO fun for him that he really wants to do it.

Like I said, shepherds tend toward retrieving instinct and it's usually easy to mold. Other breeds are not always so easy, but I even teach my chows to do a solid retrieve. I start young, do a lot of the games and a LOT of rewarding for any time they pick up or carry things. Eventually I make it into a competition style retrieve but I still play the games throughout their lives so as to keep it fun for them.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

1 - 3 of 3 Posts