German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The forum sees a lot of questions about Land Sharking and how to resolve it. With my puppy I really enjoyed rough play and the biting...for the most part. But I also taught her a "Stop" command to end it when it became too much, was inappropriate at that particular time, or when I needed to sop up blood LOL!

This seemed to work really well for her, and I don't see any hesitation on her part to engage in biting in spite of it. From my perspective, it was sort of laying the ground work for impulse control.

But my question is, is there a downside to this if one wants to train for IPO? What method(s) did you personally use, if any, to control LandShark behavior and why?

Your insight is appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
It has depended a lot on the puppy. Some were easy to redirect. Others got put up if they were too awful. As they got older I would add in corrections if needed, but most do learn when biting is allowed and when it isn't.

I also tug with my puppies. I tell them "we're done" when I am ready to stop and over time they learn the game has ended.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts