German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The vet tech did something like this today, and I told her about it.

She takes the treat and shows it to the dog and then remembers that she wants the dog to do something for it, so after offering it to the dog, she brings it way up by her face and tells the dog to sit.

The dogs sits and she gives her the treat. She thinks she did very good.

I watched the dog follow the treat and thought I would rather she offer the dog the treat and say GENTLE.

I told her, "do not draw the treat back up after offering it to her. She then will think she needs to snatch it next time."

Am I nuts about this???

I have a lot of dogs. Heidi is four and a sweetheart, and even with a lot of dogs, I have done a pretty good job of socializing her, and she is good about the vet. She is a little enthusiastic about treats, and I do have to remind her to be gentle. But she is not out and about every day, going everywhere with me, getting pets and treats from a household of people and visitors all day long.

At the vets we have been practicing down stays. I have her lie on a bench and stay, then I go up to the counter and get a dog treat and talk to the lady etc. Then I go back and give it to her. This is when the waiting room is empty.

When people come in, I take the lead so that they feel comfortable.

Today a group of people came in with a giant lab mix and a little boy. Heidi was sitting on the seat (I know) and looking at them, like, why are you coming into my room?

I decided that she needed to be on the floor and told her OFF and then put her on a down stay in front of me.

The kid was afraid of her. His father had to take the dog out to potty and the kid went with him. The lady came over and asked if she could pet my dog.

Forgetting that she was on a down stay, I said OK, and she bent down over her and offered her hand. Letting the fact that I have NEVER done this before, and that she was bending over the dog in a dominant sort of way, I quietly told Heidi to "Say Hello" in the most normal tone I could conjur up.

Still staying, Heidi stretched her neck forward and touched her nose to the hand, and the lady then petted her head.

All was right with the world. But I think I was pretty stupid about the whole thing.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Heidi did a good job and most people don't think about leaning over a dog as dominant either....including my vet,lol When our lab had KC she came up from behind him, and bent down over and in front of him to listen to his chest. I about died!!! All I can say is the vet was lucky she didn't do this to Zoe:D

The thing I try to remember is MOST people do not really know good dog etiquette. They reach for a dog and before petting it pull their hand back making the dog jump up, they do stupid things like hug your dog and wonder why they growl, and they put their face right in the dogs without thinking about the risk of getting bit. The reason why this is is because your average dog is going to tolerate this behavior whether they like it or not- not your average GSD or Dobe though. So with every Dobe I had I regularly did exactly these things to them to prepare them for the average person who was going to be petting them. I do it to Zoe as well:) Heidi seems to be a very relaxed good girl so obviously you have done a remarkable job with her. We all make our mistakes but in the end our dogs should act like Heidi and not be reactive to stupid human error....especially since your average human is going to do these things without thinking:)

·
Registered
32,713 Posts
The lady probably had no idea what her body language was saying to a dog. Most ppl don't. I had no idea until I got Jax and went to training.

The vet tech on the other hand...what a great way to get bitten in the face! :eek:

I have an issue with anyone who thinks they need to "train" my dog. I don't need a training session every time someone wants to give my dog a treat. Either give it to her or don't offer it to her. She doesn't need to do tricks for anyone. :)

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I have a good one about treats. A dog walker who's kids go to school with mine has taken a liking to Zoe and actually Zoe is almost nice to her too. So Friday this woman puts a treat in her mouth and prompts Zoe to come take it,lol I thought Zoe would bite her face as well, but instead she took it and spit it out:D

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
lol Zoe was probably thinking ew gross this treat was just in someones mouth!! I'm not eating it haha.

·
Registered
32,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great story Zoey's Mom, Zoey, probably objected to the type or lack of toothpaste. Bad breath, bad breath in humans --YUCK!!!

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Zoe just objects to any food from strangers,lol even at the vet their treats are spat out. Makes it hard to get her to like people though:(

·
Registered
32,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine eat the soft treats and spit out cheap biscuits.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
See Heidi truly is distinguished what a smart girl. Zoe wouldn't take steak from my mother...she's a little retarded but we love her anyway...Zoe that is,lol Zoe would prefer any human who is not me, DH, the kids, my one neighbor, and now uncle Joey just leave her be. She won't bark unless you try to pet her otherwise she ignores most people. Every now and then she meets someone she wants attention from but they are far and few between. How does a dog that goes everywhere with their owner grow up like this anyway? You would think she just wasn't socialized,lol which is so not the case with her.

·
Registered
32,713 Posts
ahhh...she's not retarded...she's a German Shepherd. They are supposed to be like that.

Jax is famous for eyeballing people and being on full alert until they want her attention. Then my little snob sticks her nose in the air and turns her head.

·
Registered
32,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOL! That is called personality.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Great a biotch with tude. I raised Dobes which are also known for their aloofness. Aloof is one thing, but Zoe will bark at them to leave her alone. All my Dobes who were male coincidentally would allow the pet from a stranger, look at me like okay fine mom, and move on without a sound. Zoe will look right at the oncoming stranger and bark once they are close enough to touch her. I guess I will say she just has personality from now on and see how that flies;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts