German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Its just above 3 weeks since we had Rex who is now into his 11th week and we are having fun with him.

I've observed something which i find funny and want to know if its normal and has happened with anybody else and if it still happens with adult dogs ( even with other breeds).

Whenever he gets excited to see us coming to him like me coming home from outside after some duration or coming down from stairs in the morning to open his crate or kids coming from school in the evening or similar , he would pee a little in his super excitement mode when he is going between our legs or making that peculiar happy crying kind of sound and wagging his tail etc. This is despite having him pee outside just 10 minutes earlier. This does not happen every time but would say 60% of the time. We laugh when he does that and feel it will be ok as he grows but just curious if its normal.

He has learned and is very regular on ringing the bell with his paw or mouth we've hanged on the backyard door whenever he has to go out for his business. Now he would jump and ring it hard if we are still trying to get the leash or trying to wear the slippers or shoes to go out and he is in a hurry. So basically he has been doing things outside from the start on his own.

Thanks,
-Ti2

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Yeap. My pup did it too a couple times, hard not to laugh. But let him know it's NOT acceptable that he pees. He will learn that it is an unwanted behaviour, and he'll learn to help himself.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
Ignore the excited peeing - they have no control over it. Most probably are not even aware that they are doing it. Negative or angry reaction will only confuse them, and may cause submissive peeing (excitement peers are often submissive peers also), so trying to correct excitement peeing may only cause more problems.

They will outgrow the behaviour. My GSD was still at times trickling a bit due to excitement peeing at six months, but that was about the end of it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts