German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question purely due to curiosity. What would you guys/gals do if you see another dog run out of his/her house and towards you while your on a walk. My girls reactive towards dogs who bark at her or come out of no where all of a sudden. A black lab mix bolted out of a garage today and towards her. Seeing he had a playful body language I came to a stop, however my girl raised her hackles growled and was ready to lunge if I didn't tell her to settle down. Question is might it have been an aggressive dog to do this. How would you handle it?

·
Registered
766 Posts
I simply turn my dog away, tell him to leave it and then walk back the way I came. I don't know my neighbors dogs temperament and I don't really want to take the risk. My dogs hackles rise when he's excited or nervous. I've yet to see him be aggressive and don't really want to.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the relax cue well reinforced. I just worry if the dog that will run up to us might be the aggressor. I think the safest bet is to keep deterrent on me at all times just in case that is ever the case.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
What is a relax cue?

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
i would train and socialize my dog so he/she isn't reactive.
Must be nice to have perfect dogs. :rolleyes:

I would step between my dog and the approaching dog and YELL/SCREAM at them to GO AWAY.

The yelling serves two purposes. First, HOPEFULLY, it will make the dog stop. Second, HOPEFULLY, it will alert the dogs owner to get their animal under control.

My GSD is dog reactive due to being attacked at training. If a dog charged him and he attacked, who do you think they would blame?

One of my Chinese Cresteds is very scared of other dogs (especially bigger ones) due to being attacked while out walking. If a dog charged her she could pull loose from me and run away - possibly into the path of a car or get lost. Or, worse yet, the bigger dog could attack her and severely injure her.

I'm not taking chances on any of those things happening.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Thanks. That is helpful. I will have to try that with my two unsocialized rescues.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@katdog5911 I introduced a word phrase of "relax or Calm" to her, and linked it to her being calm. I rough house with her a lot and when she gets to excited I have taught her when I say the word relax "well in Armenian" she would know I want her to be calm.

@Lauri & The Gang Thank you so much for the input. The screaming is a good idea, also will most likely scare the dog off. The leash collar getting lose is another fear. So I always try to make sure she will not pull backwards.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
This just happened tonight. I was walking Rafi and out of nowhere a male pitbull came running up behind us. Rafi kept his cool until the pittie started jumping on him and then Rafi got ticked off and started to let the pittie know it. I absolutely don't allow fighting so I told them both to cut it out, in no uncertain terms. That worked like a charm for both of them. It's amazing what a little body language and a deep voice will do!

Then I started walking down the block to figure out where the pittie lived. Since I didn't pick up his leash Rafi put himself in a sit stay while I took the dog down the street. The pittie was humping my leg and leaping up on me and being really obnoxious so I reminded him to knock it off and he calmed down and then finally his owners came outside. They thought they had tied him up but obviously they didn't. He had a choke chain on, no tags, etc. :mad:

Anyway, this is pretty much a weekly occurrence around here so I've gotten really good at making myself big and getting dogs to back off. Luckily this guy today wasn't aggressive but he was a really big, strong untrained dog.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I HATE when idiot people let their dogs off the leash running around and approching us. What do I do, I walk away immidiately, my dog doesn't react she just looks at the dog. You can only control your dog, not theirs. Carry pepper spray with you.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i'm not sure what perfect has to do with basic training. training
and socializing around other dogs helps with having a balanced dog
and when other dogs approach i think you should use that time for
training. if you happen to have a dog that doesn't react to training,
good luck.

>>>>> Must be nice to have perfect dogs.<<<<< :rolleyes:

I would step between my dog and the approaching dog and YELL/SCREAM at them to GO AWAY.

The yelling serves two purposes. First, HOPEFULLY, it will make the dog stop. Second, HOPEFULLY, it will alert the dogs owner to get their animal under control.

My GSD is dog reactive due to being attacked at training. If a dog charged him and he attacked, who do you think they would blame?

One of my Chinese Cresteds is very scared of other dogs (especially bigger ones) due to being attacked while out walking. If a dog charged her she could pull loose from me and run away - possibly into the path of a car or get lost. Or, worse yet, the bigger dog could attack her and severely injure her.

I'm not taking chances on any of those things happening.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I don't think it matters if a dog is reactive or not or trained or not, their first instinct is to protect themselves or run. Even if the dog was trained to relax, that isn't going to help it if it has an aggressive dog on its neck. I can just see a dog sitting there taking bites because its owner trained them to?? So I think its best to carry pepper spray or something like that, because I know I don't want my dog in any situation that will make them feel threatened or actually threatened in any way.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
i'm not sure what perfect has to do with basic training. training
and socializing around other dogs helps with having a balanced dog
and when other dogs approach i think you should use that time for
training. if you happen to have a dog that doesn't react to training,
good luck.
So your dog is balanced and the other dog is psycho, how does that help your dog while its getting eaten alive? We aren't talking about friendly dogs approaching, these are aggressive I want to kill you dogs...I wouldn't expect my trained dog to sit there, I would hope they would run the other way.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I put myself between the dogs and bellow (screaming sounds too high pitched for me) "GO HOME NOW!!!" I am the first line of defense. I've discovered that most dogs get very confused when they suddenly have to deal with a very irate human. I have kicked dogs that attempted to attack Freyja on walks when she was a pup. I figured that possible stitches on my part were better than having a bad interaction with a dog making Freyja reactive. Now that she's an adult I rely on Mace, as the only dogs I'm really worried about are too big for me to take on. If the dog gets too close and is outwardly aggressive I let it receive a face full. Because she grew up with me taking charge with attacking dogs, Freyja sits by my side and waits.

Angus on the other hand is more than willing to take on a charging dog.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I also put myself inbetween the dogs, I puff out my chest and stand as tall as I can manage to try to make myself look bigger, I deepen my voice and I yell for the dog to back off or go home, this generally works, but some really dominant/aggressive dogs wont fall for it and this is when I would actually pull my bear spray out.

Yesterday during our walk some random large dog (must have been around 100lbs) comes running at us from behind a few trees and was gaining on us quickly through a small little field, no houses around and I did not see an owner but I immediately told Penny to sit stay and made sure that I was relaxed and not tense as she would have felt that through the leash and I puffed myself up stared the dog down and yelled at it to stop, right then the owner came around the bend in the trail and yelled that he was only coming to say hello... The dog never stopped his advance and I firmly kept my place infront of my pup (5 months old) until the owner got to us, he never thought his dog was doing anything wrong as his dog did seem friendly but thats no excuse he should have called his dog back when he saw/heard me. If that dog would have run up to me if Diesel was still alive and that was Diesel with me it would not have went so smoothly as she was semi-dog reactive (she was fine if the dogs were calm or on a leash or dogs she knew but if a unknown dog charged us with no leash she would have defended me and herself no doubt about it). It made me angry but so many people around here to that or let their dogs just roam the neighborhood and they go back to their house when they feel like it. I am on constant alert because of this as there are a few really aggressive dogs around here. And no one thinks about the consequences.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If the dog running toward us is showing aggressive behavior you do NOT want to to turn your back and walk away.
Ill stand my ground and will get between my dog and the other one. If he attack it will be game over for him/her.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I've never liked on leash introductions, pack walks with people you know are one thing when it's simply walking together and no play. Stray dogs you know nothing about are another, I don't care who they are I don't want them near

If the other dog is off leash and running towards me I agree with standing your ground and just booming in a loud deep voice, NO! GO HOME! and keeping my dogs behind me. I'll kick if needed but never to injure if not warranted

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I usually put Finn in a sit and put myself between him and the approaching dog. I will yell, "Get away! Go home!" I've been lucky. The majority of the dogs in the neighborhood are generally friendly and we've not had any problems...so far. There are two Pits and two Mastifs who, from their owners' admittance, are very DA and those are the dogs who are constantly getting out and running amok in the neighborhood. I carry a small can of Bear Mace with me if my Husband isn't with me or I have a walking stick I carry with me just in case.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Slightly off topic but I caution against relying on pepper spray, mace, etc. I've been a police officer for many years and have had several run ins with dogs. These chemical agents are a distraction at best. If you come across an aggressive dog it won't stop them and usually makes them hostile.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I'll hackle up and growl at them...well, the human equivalent. As others have described, I'll put my dogs behind me and calmly as possible take a big stance, point away, and in my deepest voice "Get! Go on!"

Mine are about the only big dogs in my neighborhood, though, so it's not that tough to send the ankle biters away...they've mostly just been curious anyhow. One lady driving by was watching me send a little black poodle dog home one afternoon, and she commented that my pack just looked too fun and he wanted to come along! We had a good laugh over it.

I guess I'd start the same way if we were being attacked. When I was just out of college another GSD attacked my girl Keena. I saw a drop of blood in the snow, and the other owner was crying and screaming, so I stepped in and pulled her dog off of mine. Probably not the smartest thing to do. The dogs definitely outweighed me. It was my automatic response, though. The only other dog fight I have had to break up was a Lot more difficult, and not related to this thread, but I did get bitten that time...so I know it's risky to step in once the attack has commenced.

I would also like to know what to do if the dog doesn't respond when you step up and order it away. If pepper spray will only make matters worse, what to do?

I've heard some people say they carry a big stick, but I already have my hands full.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts