German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
My pup, just over 1 year old, out of nowhere started limping on his left hind leg. It has been 3 or 4 days now with no change. When standing he usually holds his paw totally off the ground. Is this evidence of the beginnings of hip dysplasia? Or is sudden limping and holding the leg off the ground more of a sign of a ligament injury or soft tissue damage. He has not had any hip problems so far, and he is totally crazy all day long. Very active, never stops, and does NOT like being in his crate. I am worried he may have hurt himself trying to fight his way out of his crate when I am not home. I had set up a video camera to record him in his crate after I leave. He goes balistic. He digs at the bottom, runs in circles, bites the bars, etc. I have recently started leaving him in the bedroom when I am gone, kind of like a very large crate. This seems to have calmed him down a good bit.

What do you guys think?
INFLAMMATION from something he is eating. My 1 and a half year old dog used to limp on the left hind leg for no reason. And everyone loves to jump to one conclusion about limping German Shepherds - hip dysplasia. I changed the diet. In two weeks he was just normal with loads of energy. Then, just for the sake of the experiment, I reverted back to the old diet and as expected, the limping came back. Switched to a second different diet, the limping gone. You may want to change the diet and see if this works.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
INFLAMMATION from something he is eating. My 1 and a half year old dog used to limp on the left hind leg for no reason. And everyone loves to jump to one conclusion about limping German Shepherds - hip dysplasia. I changed the diet. In two weeks he was just normal with loads of energy. Then, just for the sake of the experiment, I reverted back to the old diet and as expected, the limping came back. Switched to a second different diet, the limping gone. You may want to change the diet and see if this works.
Please share the foods that caused this with your dog! Could really help others!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Could be pano, it's less likely at an older age but sometimes can still come and go up to 2 years. I'd suggest having hip xrays done if you want to be sure. Can see see the long bones to diagnose pano and can also check the hips at the same time. Could also be something CCL related. Vet and x Ray's would be the best way to figure this out.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts