German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I do not yet have a GSD, but my family had two when I was growing up. When I get my first one, I plan on going through full training with it.

Currently, I work from home. However, it is possible that in the next 2-3 years, that may change. Therefore, if I purchased a GSD puppy now, I would be home all the time and would be able to train it for at least the next 1-2 years.

After that time, however, what if I had to be out of the house for eight hours, five days a week? Could the dog be left alone for that time without a pet sitter? When I would return home, the dog would get plenty of exercise, as I run about two miles seven days a week. It is just that eight hours during the day that I am worried about.

Thanks, I appreciate your help.

Sam

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
no problem sam, 8 hours is do-able. but, although some people do it, my feeling is that 8+ hours in a crate is way too long. by the time you're working outside the home, your dog should be totally ready to have the run of the house for 8 hours.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I agree. I planned on maybe gating off the upstairs and leaving the dog to the rest of the house. If it is trained well enough, hopefully it would not get into too much mischief.

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
it may be a good idea to schedule your 2 mile run before work in stead of (or ideally in addition to) after work.

also, since your dog will be used to having you most hours of the day for 2yrs... you may have to gradually work him/her up to 8hrs to allow for any separation anxiety that may develop.

i am home a lot or take the dogs with me as much as i can -- some times my work days can range from a couple of hours up to 10+ hrs (adding commute). my 2yr old does absolutely fine... (except for those 20 seconds that i'm backing out of the driveway, he'll give me one very loud disapproving yowl) but he's also with an older rock solid female that he pulls a lot of his confidence from.

but all in all, you'll be fine. each and every situation we put our dogs thru may not be ideal, but they adjust better then we give them credit for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts