German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading for a few hours today ont he forum on Hemangiosarcoma, I have to admin that I never really heard of this disease before and how quickly and silently affects our beloved breed.

As some of you know, I lost my buddy approx 3 weeks ago, since then I have tried to understand what happened.. now with a little clearer state of mind and the tears not flowing so rapidly as before, I now think he succumbed to Hemangiosarcoma.

I read many posts that clearly demostrate how quickly this darn disease takes foothold and many if not all cases, its almost futile to attempt at doing anything for the pet. Even if caught at an early state, it just mutates so quickly and you do not even know it.

I am wondering how common is this disease on our breed, it appears so common...

:(

·
Registered
206 Posts
We lost our 12 year old Maxx in November to hemangiosarcoma. We were at the vet 2 days before and he was doing well for his age. It was sudden and heartbreaking.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Cancer is financially prohibitive to treat.

That's why its less stressful to put down a stricken GSD than to try to add a few months to its life.

When they come down with Hemangiosarcoma, its usually a death sentence for the big guys.

I wouldn't wish it on any one's dog and people on here have lost theirs to it and its heart-breaking.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I've lost one, last May to it. There was no way to treat once diagnosed, the vet did exploratory surgery and she was full of cancer, we let her go on the table.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I've lost three to it ... Echo, Ringer and Bo. No. 4 was Kelly who was deathly ill from another problem and the hemangiosarcoma was caught in a scan when we were trying to get a diagnosis of the other problem.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I understand GSs are the poster children of hemangiosarcoma. My almost 11-y.o. started feeling lethargic and no appetite a month ago, rapid pulse. Took him to the vet, did xrays, ultrasounds, the latter showed a tumor on his spleen. Surgery next day to remove spleen, but small masses on liver, came back as hemangio from lab. Malik was given 1 to 2 months to live. It's been one. He's recovered very well, eats well, walks happily, plays. Then the clock ticks, but when it will be time, I will have no regrets having given him some good extra days :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts