German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a one acre pony pasture with 4- board fence. The dogs can almost get under the lower board.

I am thinking of putting up a wire-mesh fence on the inside of the board fence, so the dogs can play. We want to invite friends too! (The ponies will be put up, of course!)

The dogs will only be out in this area while under supervision. Do you think 4-foot is tall enough, or are they likely to go sailing over the fence? The pasture is surrounded by trees, so there is really nothing they would see in the distance to attract them. I am hoping that if we make it fun enough in the pasture, then they would not jump out.

I would also like to add a sand pit for digging and a pond for swimming..dreams are good, right? (and some agility obstacles too!)

·
Registered
219 Posts
If you have jumpers 4 ft will not keep them in. I have a 6 ft vinyl fence and if my girl really wanted to she could jump it too.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
4 feet is fine if the dogs aren't jumpers and respect it as a boundary. I have a similar fence to what you're describing. The dogs could absolutely go over my fence if they wanted to, but they don't. The only time they've come close is when they were trying to go after a coyote. I don't leave my dogs unattended of course. I have had a foster dog go over in the time it took me to fill the water dish with my back turned, though.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I had to put a hot cattle wire at the top of a six-foot privacy fence for about a month to keep my three from jumping it. After a few weeks, I left the wire up, but no power to it. A four foot fence wouldn't even make them pause and think.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I have 5 ft. fence. Woolf isn't a jumper.... BUT when he sees a squirrel, he just about climbs the fence. So far he respects that top pole, but he has come close enough, we don't trust him to not one day go on over for a squirrel so we are extending the height of the fence.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have a 4 ft fence and I have never had a dog go over it. Willow could totally jump it if she wanted to but she never has.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I'm curious what it is you're looking for here, ponyfarm. Are you asking if a 4' fence is tall enough for Max? Or are you asking about a 4' fence for your friends' dogs? Until recently when I threw a kegger and fenced in my yard so that my friends could bring their dogs, Pimg has never been in an entirely fenced yard. While every dog is certainly different, I've not found it hard to train property boundaries. I suspect with your training style and the value you've built for yourself with Max, that it will also be quite easy to train him boundaries as well.

For other people's dogs though- I'd hope their owners don't give them the opportunity to jump the fence if the owner knows the potential is there. Myself, I wouldn't turn my pretty wood fence into an ugly chain fence just for my friends' dogs.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Myself, I wouldn't turn my pretty wood fence into an ugly chain fence just for my friends' dogs.
I think Ponyfarm is talking about wire mesh, not chain. I've got a pretty stained wood fence and you don't even notice the wire is there until you're right on top of it.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am thinking about this so we could have other friends dogs over to play! Max has made some puppy friends.

Both Max and Tim are very good at staying with me when out, and they never go out unattended! They have learned boundries and dont even chase the squirrels past the edge. I dont know how I accomplished that one, maybe I seemed annoyed dragging them back thru the briars and they got the hint!

Yea, I was thinking about a mesh fence that really would not be that noticeable, but now just thinking 4 foot is too low. Ok, need to save for that 6 foot wrought iron fence!

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Will it contain them under supervision, probably, but I would not trust it to contain dogs left on their own.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Will it contain them under supervision, probably, but I would not trust it to contain dogs left on their own.
Only under supervision..I am just wondering if dogs that have some value for their handlers will stay in, or leave the area?

Might be just too low to slow them down. hmmm

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Depends on the dogs. 4' was fine for my dogs, but like Willy said my shepherds didn't leave even before we had a fence. When I replaced the fence I used 6' so that people couldn't reach over, but I never had a dog try to jump out over 4'. Coke used to try to escape but he's a digger not a jumper.

·
Banned
3,612 Posts
I'm curious what it is you're looking for here, ponyfarm. Are you asking if a 4' fence is tall enough for Max? Or are you asking about a 4' fence for your friends' dogs? Until recently when I threw a kegger and fenced in my yard so that my friends could bring their dogs, Pimg has never been in an entirely fenced yard. While every dog is certainly different, I've not found it hard to train property boundaries. I suspect with your training style and the value you've built for yourself with Max, that it will also be quite easy to train him boundaries as well.

For other people's dogs though- I'd hope their owners don't give them the opportunity to jump the fence if the owner knows the potential is there. Myself, I wouldn't turn my pretty wood fence into an ugly chain fence just for my friends' dogs.
I have a wonderful five foot ugly chain link and I couldn't love having it more! :) My blind girl cannot get "lost" anywhere and my two adolescent boys can't decide to be adolescent boys and go chase something.

I think any bigger dog could get over a 4 foot in a nanosecond if they wanted to. It's just whether they want to or not. To be on the safe side, since you don't maybe know the tendencies of the friends' dogs, you may want to go higher.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
My Akbash Dog laughs at four foot fences, but my GSD respects a fence of any height; she's so good that she won't go past even a suggestion of a boundary. I've found that most GSDs are respectful of boundaries if they are bonded to you and have everything they need inside the boundary. Despite this, I built our perimeter fence at 6 feet, just to be safe, and to keep OTHER dogs OUT! I wouldn't want to go with anything lower.

·
Super Moderator
32,031 Posts
4 feet is fine if the dogs aren't jumpers and respect it as a boundary.
:thumbup: The baby gate to the cat room isn't even that high, but my dogs don't jump it. They could do it easily, but they don't. Halo will actually stick her nose between the bars and try to wiggle it open (she's unfortunately been successful at this a few times, so now she knows it might work!), but although she probably jump at least 4 or 5 feet high even without a running start, I don't think she's ever even tried to jump the gate.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Only under supervision..I am just wondering if dogs that have some value for their handlers will stay in, or leave the area?
You could have a dog who hasn't even attempted to jump a fence for it's entire life..then one day a certain stray dog walks by a certain way at a certain distance from the fence and casts it's eye in a certain way and your dog happens to be in a certain mood and value won't make any difference to your dog.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
We recently replaced our 4 ft fence with a 6 ft fence. Although Cheyenne never even thought about jumping it, I wasn't going to tempt fate! I would say that 6 ft is your best bet!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts