German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lady at work asked me about the California Natural Grain-Free Chicken Meal formula. I told her it sounded like a quality product but since I haven't used it before I thought I would ask the board. Does anyone use this and if so her primary concern was her dog scooting butt on floor (probabaly anal glands need expressing).

Thank you for any advice I can give her.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Either worms or the anal glands need to be expressed. Either way the dog should see the vet, I don't think changing foods will help this.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Probably a good idea to switch to a good food, but if the anal glands are already gunked up because of the above they aren't going to fix themselves.

It is a good food. Not the absolute best, and it is considered a limited ingredient food (sort of marketed towards dogs with allergies), but you could most definitely do worse and there are not a absolute ton of things better.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Anal glands probably just need to be expressed. Scooting on the ground is a common indicator of that.

As for california natural, it has quality ingredients, but it is now made by proctor and gamble now that Natura sold their company to them, so it's not a brand that I would even give a shot.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks yall. I will let her know she should see the vet and if she switches do it slowly. I didn't think about the potential for worms :eek: so will let her know that too.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Anal glands probably just need to be expressed. Scooting on the ground is a common indicator of that.

As for california natural, it has quality ingredients, but it is now made by proctor and gamble now that Natura sold their company to them, so it's not a brand that I would even give a shot.
You wouldn't give it a shot because its now owned by P&G? What do you have against P&G? I would imagine the food and probably the manu. process will stay the same.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
A lady at work asked me about the California Natural Grain-Free Chicken Meal formula. I told her it sounded like a quality product but since I haven't used it before I thought I would ask the board. Does anyone use this and if so her primary concern was her dog scooting butt on floor (probabaly anal glands need expressing).

Thank you for any advice I can give her.
Dogs with chronic anal gland problems should not, I repeat, not be on a food without beet pulp. This food is all water-soluble fiber from peas.

The dog's stool must be large enough and hard enough to press against the glands to drain them each poop.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
FWIW I feed all my dogs California Natural Lamb and Rice (the LID, not grain free) and it's the best food I've ever used. I sometimes rotate other brands and types but always go back to this one. They do very well and have small, formed poops all the time. Their poops are more like raw food poops than kibble poops - it doesn't even smell and if I miss a day picking it up it turns white and breaks down. I've never had a dog with butt issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts