German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Draven turned the big 9months getting there! He's an almost perfect dog by my standards but there is one thing that I have a huge problem with .. his love of dogs...and strangers.

I don't have a video I should have taken it, but I was at the Vet the other day and there was a lady with a little dog on her lap, and Draven and I were there first most people see my big 90lbs moose and go to the other side because he looks mean(???)

Anyway Draven yips and whines and REALLY struggles to listen, his whole body quivers, and any word I give him he jerks to move until a little part of his brain says "Crap that wasn't the release word"

Draven wears a prong collar (Mainly because I can do gentle corrections and he notices, with all the other collars I had to over correct him to get him to notice the correction and it hurt my elbows and sometimes the dog) so I'll give little tugs on the leash and give the "I don't like that" noise which keeps him in a drop, I try and give him a "leave" it command and give heavy praise / party time when he breaks eyes with the other dog and focuses back on me.

When I go to obedience... which he is a STAR at home, on the street in the park... as soon as he sees another dog his recall drops by 25-80%. Sometimes he hesitates other times he just outright ignores (Which I then go get him)

My father who trained a bunch of shepherds 20-30 years ago thinks it just puppy behavior and it will go away. ANother person said that none of their Shepherds were ever like Draven they settled down quickly in any situation.

Its my first dog, I'll try and get video of it next time but I"m hoping that my father is right and the second person is wrong ...

And does anyone have suggestions to try and break this "MUST PLAY / SNIFF / Engage" new people / dogs??? Its great he's friendly ... but I'd like him to be a bit more "Family" orientated at least when I ask him to be, at the dog parks or during puppy play dates I expect him to be a bonehead.

:help:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Come up with a command, give it every time she goes for it and correct her. I recently saw someone use a small spray bottle filled with water and a capful of vinegar as the correction device and it worked wonders. Did the same for our dogs. After 2 days in pet smart, I have yet to need it again in several months. My dog likes people, alot, and it got annoying real fast. I say greet when she is allowed to go up to someone. I say nein when she needs to ignore them or starts tugging towards them. Don't forget lots of slow calm praise when she follows the command.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm interesting idea..

Are you correcting when she pulls towards the object you want them to ignore (people /dogs)

Or when she zero's in on them (Hyper Focuses and doesn't break eye contact)

Big question is do adult dogs suffer from this? I know you can't answer what my dog will be as an adult, but if he is this focused on Dogs now, can it be correct at 9months so he just chills out when I ask him to.

I'm guessing I could use this same method with my cats?

Could I crate my cat several feet away from him (Down the hallway) and everytime he barks at the cat I give him the "No" (Which is Nein for me as well) and a spray?

Thing is I don't want him to stop barking at noises around the house.

Id like to get the warning bark when someone is coming to the door, or walking around the house, just a one bark "Hey I hear something wake up"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts