German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into purchasing a Barking Collar for one of my dogs(Odie). He barks excessively and I have tried everything else. So this is my next step.
Please let me know what type of collar woked best for you and how long you have used it for and if you still have to use it at this time.
Thank you for all of your input.
Sharon

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
I have tried two different brands of no-bark collars, the Petsafe brand ones sold at Petsmart, and the Tritronics Bark Limiter XS.

In my experience, the Petsafe brand ones were a complete waste of money. Even after using the long prongs, shaving the area where they were going to sit, receiving a test kit from the company to see if it was working of faulty, and getting a replacement piece, they did NOTHING.

The TriTronics Bark Limiter XS was recommended to me and while expensive, it works and it works well. It has a number of different settings, depending on what kind of stimulation is needed in your situation. Mine is on "2". You can replace the batteries for about $5 and they last about a year.

I would definitely recommend the TriTronics no-bark collar.
http://www.tritronics.com/remotetrainers-barklimiterxs.html

One thing you should know is that putting the collar on will not automatically mean your dog stops barking. It will take a couple of days for your dog to learn that barking = correction, therefore not barking is what is wanted / required when the collar is on.

And yes, most dogs need to continue to use the collar because they get smart to the fact that when they bark without the collar being on, they don't get corrected for it. So unless you follow the collar up with training not to bark, the collar may be a permanent solution.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I use the one sold at Walmart for like 40$,,it has different levels,,warning tones, then the 'zap' gets stronger if the dog doesn't stop barking within a 15 second period.

It works very well for my male aussie who has displaced aggression and barks at everything..I really didn't want to use a bark collar, tried everything under the sun,,but this dog is a hard nut to crack when it comes to ALOT of things, barking being one of them..

It chills him out with his displaced aggression as well, he 'knows' when the collar is on him,,I 've used this collar for over a year, but NEVER leave it on him unsupervised..
diane

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I second the Tritonics Bark limiter collar. I tried the Petsafe brand and they broke
The Tritonics work great have more levels to work with, are durable, effective and well made for their price.

Cherri

·
Premium Member
11,244 Posts
I have a Tritronics from Cabelas and Dogtra - I like the Dogtras better because 1. they are rechargeable, 2. they have little dials to set strength....Tritonics model I have is annoying as it is like an old pager - hold the button down in varying patterns to change levels and power on and off...it takes a battery and is lighter and smaller than the Dogtras.

Lee

·
Registered
189 Posts
I tried the Petsafe citronella spray collar and it curbed my dogs barking for a few weeks. Once she decided that she didn't mind the smell of lemons anymore, it failed to stop her barking. She would bark and then rub the spray off of her face on the grass!

So then I bought the Petsafe collar that actually corrects with a bit of a zap. Complete waste of money. It turns on her neck no matter how tight I put it on her, any tighter and she will not be able to breathe! It only corrects her about one in 10 or 12 barks, she barks forever before it actually does anything. She has not learned a thing from this collar. No more Petsafe for me.

I ordered a TriTronics Bark Limiter...this seems to have good reviews. Hope mine will be, too!

I don't mind a dog that barks when there is someone at the door or trying to get inside the fence, but indiscriminate barking or nuisance barking is what makes enemies out of your neighbors. I don't want to be "that house with the noisy dog" and have animal control knocking on my door. Thus the reason for the bark collar.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your opinions, I really appreciate it. I to have a nuisnace barking and that is what I am trying to change. I think I will look into the TriTronics Bark Limiter.
I will let everyone know what I did for sure and how it worked.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts