German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to hear some opinions on this situation:

Was walking today with our dogs and were approached by a mentally challenged individual who started leaning in and staring intently at our dog while raising his hands to side of his face. It freaked me out at first until i realized the situation (i.e.-he had a disablility). Our gsd stayed right by my side until he was about 3 feet from us when he (our dog) bolted to the front of me (facing the guy). He stood and stared as I just kept on walking. He was obviously freaked out by the mans behavior.

I interpreted it as a fear/defensive response. Is this a normal response to something like this or would a rock sold dog not respond at all?

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
was your dog on lead? asking because dog bolted in front of you . Who is the "He stood and stared as I just kept on walking" the dog ? who stood and stared , or the man ?

What was the reaction of your dog to have you say he was obviously freaked. What was it that made you say it was fear / defensive. Were the other dogs (our dogs) yours and under your control or were you out with a group of friends .

---
now if the dog had been walking by your side nicely on lead and you saw this person at a distance with unusual gait or posture then you could have prepared the dog letting him know that you have already spotted this , checked it out and it is "okay" and then tell the dog before hand "leave it" and keep on going.

We have a person that is troubled with some major spinal problem that he had , for who knows what reasons, neglected to take care of . He pretty well is bent forward at the waist , has a dowager's hump , and has Tourette's so he is ungainly in his walk , his arms are spastic and he stutters and curses a blue streak . But he is a harmless person . If I spot him when taking my young dog out , I tell that dog "leave it" and walk on normal . Dogs are not freaked by the behaviour -- although they do look so they are not oblivious .

People who are on medication emit a different scent .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts