German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Line-breeding for the progency of Drako vom Haus Shekinah and Voodoo vom Shwarzenegger

Any comments on the pedigree. I know a lot of up close dogs not titled but several are working dogs -

A teammate is looking at a dog from this breeding. I know the sire and two of his siblings but don't know the dam. She is, though, I am pretty sure an operational detection dog as well as the sire.

Looking for a SAR prospect and this would be "affordable" for him.

My comments to him will be "ask for the OFA reports on all the parents or to see the x-rays if you know how to read them" (he won't) and to ask for knowledge any and all health/temperament issues by the parents. I would also take a long hard look at the dam. What has she produced (if anything), are there any nerve issues etc?

Any possible issues to specifically look for with this pedigree?

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Yes, I would definitely look into what the female, and maybe even her mother, has produced previously. I know the sire line fairly well (I know Irmus personally and have seen some of his kids).

·
Premium Member
11,316 Posts
The pedigree is all over the place....looks like some showlines might be back further....

Missing teeth is a possibility - not that important for a SAR dog who won't be breeding....

Cost is not always the way to decide on a litter....doesn't Christine have a litter from Beau's sire Sumo????

Lee

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
I owned a Diabolo son , (and other Raben Flugel dogs that went in to work) and know the owner of Olaf and saw some of his work . These were good dogs.

The person needs to go and test the litter .

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lee, you are preaching to the choir. I actually pointed to Christine's upcoming litters.

Honestly, I don't know. I support having OFA done, not breeding a female until that has been done etc., but I really don't know what to say other than one reason you have to pay more some places is the amount of investment the breeder has in their breeding stock.

If it were me I would want a compelling reason to know what is special about that combo. And I agree a few hundred more dollars is nothing compared to the cost of owning and training the dog.

Mainly I just wanted to see if there were any danger danger Will Robinson warning signs in the pedigree and I get "maybe teeth". How about allergies in any of this? It is a major issue for me if a dog has allergies.

·
Premium Member
11,316 Posts
The problem being so much is unknown about the female....so how can anyone point out anything if the background is unknown and unproven???

Lee

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did catch on PDB that a sibling to the dam had a congenital spine defect that is serious. I am going to PM that person!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts