German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone -- finally made an account here after reading for close to a year. This forum is a wealth of knowledge!

Hank is 6 months old, from a Czech working line. He comes from an excellent breeder and has been everything we hoped for. Mom is IPO3, OFA fair, and dad is currently IPO1 and OFA good. We picked him up at 9wks old.

https://i.imgur.com/HFvgW6Z.jpg

About a week ago we were training and playing on a grass field. Usual stuff, recalls from about 50ft away, tug, fetch, etc. I noticed a slight limp on the walk back to the car, and it looked like his right hind leg was bothering him a bit. Nothing major, and he wasn't crying or whimpering. Over the last week I have been paying attention to it, and have only noticed a few times where he seems to show some discomfort in it -- really just a limp/hop for a few steps then back to normal. He let me massage it and poke and prod without any complaints. It's not a cut on his paw or anything like that.

Last night when we were out for a walk in the woods I took a few videos, because every now and then his jog had a bit of a hop to it. You can see it in this video --

He wasn't doing it all the time. The rest of the walk, his gait looked pretty normal --
and

He eats raw, with Berte's supplements (daily blend + digestion blend + green blend). Good variety of protein, and we shoot for 80/10/10 protein/bone/organ ratio. He is 23" at the withers and 65lb right now.

Does anything indicate pano with that description and video, or seem like it is something that should be checked by a vet? He is with us all day (goes to work with my GF) and we have both been watching for limping since we first noticed it and we only see it for brief periods (he may do it on one recall, and then not again for hours), and not every day.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link. I did some more googling for "gsd bunny hop" and it seems like that is a telltale sign of HD in adult dogs, but may or may not mean anything in puppies. Based on that, we're going to call the vet today and get x-rays done just in case.

Here's another video of him moving around more -- this was from the training/playing session I mentioned in the OP

·
Super Moderator
7,116 Posts
Looks like something is going on with that leg.That's not a 'bunny hop' but could be a sprain,a fractured toe,pano....Xrays are a good idea.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts