German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I couldn't find any post on this so i thought i'll put it here.

Rex just turned 5 month on 5th July. My issue is he still pees standing on four legs and now he wets his front two legs almost every time and i have to wipe it off before he jumps inside home. Few weeks back he used to stream it straight down almost right below his stomach but now he streams up far which goes beyond his front legs and wetting it.

My question is how will he know or learn to pee like male dogs lifting one of his hind legs. I tried putting that pee pole and spraying scent to make him pee but all he thinks is its some kind of toy which he finds amusing as we chase him to take it away from him ( also since we do not want him to put that thing in his mouth with the spray on it ). Being a good boy he always pees outside and would ring that bell hanging on the door to let us know.

It may sound funny putting this question here but i really need to know.

Thanks,
-T2

·
Super Moderator
5,897 Posts
I don’t think Russell hiked his leg to pee until he was 12 months old. And he still manages to pee on a front leg sometimes.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Our recently acquired 2yo male GS also squats, thankfully he has a clean release.

I'm starting to walk Saint in tandem with snickers, the XO's 8yo silky shih tzu male. Snickers has a very high leg lift, hopefully Saint will catch on.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I think that comes with age. Some start sooner than others. My Shiba Inu is 50/50 on it now but he started around 8 months.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Since my guy started lifting his leg he ALWAYS now pees on his front paw. It used to be a lot rarer of an occasion before he started lifting. He began marking at exactly 1 year old, and is pretty much his favorite off leash activity. Same exact experience with my last male. My first male was neutered early and didn't mark. Enjoy...

·
Registered
614 Posts
Our five year old still doesn't lift his leg. He's not neutered, just seems to prefer things that way. And he avoids hitting his legs so he stays clean in that respect.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
They seem learn it by watching other dogs do it. Even my little female now squats and lifts a leg at the same time because she lives with two boys and is trying to copy what they do.

The funniest collective learning is the post-potty "victory dance." My dogs didn't do it until my youngest male came into our home and taught them -- monkey see, monkey do. Now they all do it, spraying dirt and leaves everywhere in celebration of an especially good poop. :wink2:

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Mine started lifting his leg when he was 10-11 months. And it's true, lifting his leg doesn't mean he won't get his pee on his front leg. Ironically ever since he lifts his leg when peeing, he wets his front leg, unlike before. He still chooses to pee without lifting his leg sometimes though. I'd say just wait it out, yours may or may not lift his leg. I suppose all you can do it let him figure it out himself.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
...another reason I prefer bitches.... :) The squat and leave it method.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Mine is 11.5 now and has never once lifted his leg. He has it down to a fine art now though and never pees on his front legs, even though he is a coatie and has feathers several inches long.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts