German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started feeding my female pup raw about 2 weeks already and lately she has been itching and I thought maybe it could be from us coming back home from NY so I took her a bathe and still itching. I've read that I may be giving her too much chicken and switch it up, is that right ? I also heard I should give her a lil grizzly fish oil. Please help cause its kinda driving me a lil crazy. I also thought it can be from her jumping into the creek the other day.

Here's my Sibbi....

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
on two different occasions my dog started itching after
swimming in the creek. i gave him a bath usuing either an
organic shampoo or natural shampoo and the itching went
away.

·
Registered
371 Posts
You know, now that I think about it, I had a dog years ago (nother breed) that got a bit scratchy after a creek or salt water... Micro-organisms maybe.. Anyway a solution was: Head and Shoulders was cheap and effective, and Selsen Blue also... But don't let it soak long. Shampoo and rinse, could be as easy as that...

·
Registered
482 Posts
Prior to the raw feeding of chicken what did you feed your dog? What was the main protein source in the food? I would say if it was Chicken (most things that are other flavored are still chicken have to look at ingredients) before and now you are feeding chicken I would say you could eliminate a food allergy. (would need to confirm with vet obviously)

Need to rule out fleas too. Even if you dont see them on your dog. Take a flea comb, comb through the fur and put what comes off onto a hard light colored surface and add a couple drops of water to it. What looks like dirt and dander may actually be flea dirt. You will know because it will expand into blood droplets. When a flea infestation starts you rarely see the fleas on the animals as they only get on to feed and hop back off to mate / lay eggs etc.

Good luck hope your itchy pup feels better soon!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was feeding her Natural Balance and I didnt like how she look. She wasn't really gain weight and she would just pick at the food through out the day. I have her on frontline but I think it actually expires in a couple days. Im going to give her a bath now and hopefully she will stop the scratching.

Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think we may have found the problem. This past weekend we went to my in laws and they have a dog which they feed kibble... Cheap kibble at that. My wife said she seen our dog eating the kibble, so that's probably where all the scratching and itching came from.

As far as what I'm feeding her.... We started with chicken of course and now im introducing pork.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have no clue.... What I do with Sibbi is, everytime I feed her I mix the food with my hands so my scent can be on the food as well. Try that maybe it will work.

Hope it works.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts