German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can puppies from the same dam and sire have different kennel names. I was under the impression that the litter of pups would have the name of the kennel that owns and bred the dam.

I can see where the dam may not have the same kennel name as her litter if the dam was sold by her original kennel, but I can't figure out how puppies of the same litter can acquire a kennel name other than the kennel that owns and bred their dam.

I have tried to sort this out on my own but it's confusing and I see this often enough when I look at pedigrees that it's is now bugging me to understand why.

Any explanations are appreciated.

·
Registered
27,244 Posts
I know a couple breeders that allow buyers to name their pups whatever, and it muddies up the pedigree information, IMO. The buyers are already breeders and put their own kennel name on said pup. I don't think they should be able to register that way, but then AKC doesn't really police the registrations, even though they are supposedly legit registry. DNA should be on file in this instance.

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I know a couple breeders that allow buyers to name their pups whatever, and it muddies up the pedigree information, IMO. The buyers are already breeders and put their own kennel name on said pup. I don't think they should be able to register that way, but then AKC doesn't really police the registrations, even though they are supposedly legit registry. DNA should be on file in this instance.
That scenario did occur to me but I'm pretty sure that I have seen it with what I believe to be well known and respected kennel names. The only other scenario I could think of which it could occur is if the dam was sold again and then a repeat breeding with the same sire by the new kennel and that litter carries the new kennel name. Would the pups from that litter be listed along,with the first litter under "full siblings" in PDB.??

I should have saved and attached an example when I came up on one.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I'm not a breeder, but any puppy can be registered with whatever name the person registering it specifies. Also many dogs are owned jointly, so from any given litter some puppies might be named to include one kennel name, where siblings from that same litter might be named after a co-owner's kennel. The possibilities are endless...

·
Premium Member
11,234 Posts
the owner of the dam at time of breeding is considered the breeder unless a document is signed transfering the right to the buyer if the female is sold....

the kennel name on pups SHOULD normally be that of the owner of the dam who is breeder of the pups....

Occasionally, a pup is taken as part of a stud fee or other arrangement and the two people agree to allow the male's owner to use their own kennel name to continue their lines....but most people do not want someone else to use their own kennel name on a puppy they bred.

Lee

Reactions: Heartandsoul

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. It does clear up my question even if it doesn't clean up the confusion. I really like looking at and trying to read pedigrees. Heck, two nights ago I had an "aha" moment where I finally understood the line breeding numbers that are listed. That was a really cool moment and it came when reading a pretty interesting pedigree. I think it was one of the PS lines. May have been Cak but not sure as I was looking at a lot and it was late.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
It is possible the female was sold or leased and a repeat breeding was done under another kennel name. The resulting pups would not be littermates, but full siblings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts